Altered Carbon

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mad Jax

Altered Carbon

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:41 pm

New Netflix adaptation, I'm on episode 3 right now. I recommend it for certain, but I've never read the original work. As strange as it may sound, something about the way it's presented makes me suspect that it's missing some essential elements of the novel. The reason I suspect this is because Morgan's work never struck me as being particularly suitable for screen adaptation. But the only book I've ever read of his is 13, and this one may be different.

I still find it quite enjoyable. I love dystopian sci fi, and I love good cyberpunk, so it's right up my alley, and Joel Kinnaman (the lead) is one of my favorite actors. My only problem is the way the film makers keep trying to draw my attention to the background, as if to show off their world the whole time. It is a well crafted world, but the background should be just that IMO; the background. A nitpick, to be sure, but I have to give my honest opinion. Is anyone else watching?
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Sheamus Moore

Re: Altered Carbon

Post by Sheamus Moore » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm

I’m about as far along as your are but the jury’s out for me. Visually, I get the feeling they’re trying to mimic Blade Runner.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 am

I didn't know this was an adaptation. I'm on episode four.

What's drawn my attention are the themes, specifically the idea that when people become detached from the real world through virtual reality, that they quickly lose respect for life and one another. They slaughter one another like a video game, and bodies become nothing more than parts or vehicles.

I think the entire show is an analogy for what happens on Twitter.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 am

The book is interesting, though I guess I didn't find it compelling enough to immediately read the sequel. (I tend to read only the first book in a lot of science fiction series.)

Isn't it funny how it's rare to find a positive view of the future anymore? I wonder if that tendency in our art actually affects how we see the world and our optimism regarding what is possible.

Of course, Star Trek never really showed how humanity managed to get along so well--other than hinting that it was because of the invention of the replicator, which eliminated money. Or maybe they did at some point. I actually didn't see all that much Star Trek.
Last edited by Ghost on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 pm

I watched the first episode, I like the idea of what they're doing concept wise, but the gratuitous violence is gross. Debating on whether you continue.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Ghost wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 am
Isn't it funny how it's rare to find a positive view of the future anymore? I wonder if that tendency in our art actually affects how we see the world and our optimism regarding what is possible.

Of course, Star Trek never really showed how humanity managed to get along so well--other than hinting that it was because of the invention of the replicator, which eliminated money. Or maybe they did at some point. I actually didn't see all that much Star Trek.
Nerd mode, engage!

In Star Trek First Contact, they say that it was the official, public first contact with extra Terrestrial. It happened soon after a major world war, so there were millions dead, humanity as a whole said they were ready for a change. It took decades, for the most part and several generations for some people.

The Orville has a different take and a bit more plausible scenario. In that show, it was a combo of the invention of ultra cheap, unlimited energy coupled with mater synthesis technology. At that point, anyone could make anything they wanted. Traditional money became worthless. Personal talent became the new currency.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams