Film Review: Black Panther

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mad Jax

Film Review: Black Panther

Post by Mad Jax » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Just going to run down the basics on this one here. Characterization is good, story line is relatively non-typical and in a good way, script is better overall than most Marvel films (which is not to say it's generally bad), and I find the protagonist likable while finding the antagonist to be genuinely sympathetic. Props to Michael B Jordan for his performance, it is as good as early reviews say.

I think it's fair to say this film relies on the goodwill of the other Marvel films for its context. As a stand alone, it would be really difficult to immerse. And some of the more fantastic tech and ideas could almost certainly be picked apart by anyone with the time to commit to it, i.e. vibranium armored war rhinos with advanced flying craft for air support. But it certainly looks cool, and it can be enjoyed on that level. I don't think Marvel has a bad track record and with that said, this one is definitely one of the better films they've made.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Corsair

Re: Film Review: Black Panther

Post by Corsair » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:17 am

Yes, it was a fun show. There was some politics injected into it, but I can't imagine that it will produce any real effect in the real world. The "Ininity War" trailer shows a battle in Wakanda. This movie is probably a necessary prequel if that scene is going to make sense.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:25 pm

I think so, but I'm not going to see Infinity War. I'd have to watch both GotG movies and the new Spiderman film to be up to speed, films in which I have no interest. So I may be exiting Marvel fandom as they've tied too much together for me.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 am

This will be a must-see film when it finally comes out at a torrent near me.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 am

Mad Jax wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:25 pm
I think so, but I'm not going to see Infinity War. I'd have to watch both GotG movies and the new Spiderman film to be up to speed, films in which I have no interest. So I may be exiting Marvel fandom as they've tied too much together for me.
Frankly, read the Wikipedia synopses of both movies and you will be up to speed. Guardians of the Galaxy has one of the most complicated and inconsistent back stories in the comics. The movie simplifies GotG down to "sci-fi superheroes with a space ship" that happen to inhabit the same universe with the Avengers. Spiderman is hardly different than the comics and cartoons of the past 50 years. The latest movie is quite good and simply adds a working relationship with Tony Stark.

Deadpool is going to be the weird one when it comes out on May 18, 2018.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 am
Mad Jax wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:25 pm
Frankly, read the Wikipedia synopses of both movies and you will be up to speed. Guardians of the Galaxy has one of the most complicated and inconsistent back stories in the comics. The movie simplifies GotG down to "sci-fi superheroes with a space ship" that happen to inhabit the same universe with the Avengers. Spiderman is hardly different than the comics and cartoons of the past 50 years. The latest movie is quite good and simply adds a working relationship with Tony Stark.

Deadpool is going to be the weird one when it comes out on May 18, 2018.
Well... maybe that's a good approach. The thing is, Marvel can genuinely be credited with having their stories be character driven. It's not a perfect track record, but it's relatively consistent. So part of my investment in the film could very well be limited, because I have no idea what decision the GotG cast may be tempted to make. I hope that makes sense. But I think I'll take your advice, since I do enjoy the Marvel films.

Deadpool was a satisfying film to me, so I think its sequel will be pretty solid and I like what I've seen of Cable.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Marvel Studios' Avengers: Infinity War will be released one week early on April 7th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... ZfuNTqbHE8
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha