John Hajicek's new book aquisition

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
FiveFingerMnemonic

John Hajicek's new book aquisition

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Very interesting facebook post about a new rare BOM copy John Hajicek recently purchased. This was Oliver Cowdery's personal 1837 copy with annotations including parts that refer to "stolen material" apparently:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1492972721
John Hajicek: Yes, it is annotated. Unfortunately, some of them talk about what parts Cowdery thinks are "stolen" (his word, not mine) and from where. I am not kidding.

oliver_denom

Re: John Hajicek's new book aquisition

Post by oliver_denom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:21 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm
Very interesting facebook post about a new rare BOM copy John Hajicek recently purchased. This was Oliver Cowdery's personal 1837 copy with annotations including parts that refer to "stolen material" apparently:

John Hajicek: Yes, it is annotated. Unfortunately, some of them talk about what parts Cowdery thinks are "stolen" (his word, not mine) and from where. I am not kidding.
That's one hell of a bombshell if it's shown that the handwriting is Cowdery's. Can't believe he had enough cash to outbid the LDS church.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:29 pm

oliver_denom wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:57 pm

That's one hell of a bombshell if it's shown that the handwriting is Cowdery's. Can't believe he had enough cash to outbid the LDS church.
The guy is quite the collector of rare Mormon literature. He often travels to Utah and is very friendly about letting people look at his collection. I get the impression that he is quite wealthy, and the church was asleep at the wheel for this particular auction.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Just has to mention the words "stolen material" and its acquisition value to the LDS Church triples what Mr. Hajicek paid for this book.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:12 pm

moksha wrote:Just has to mention the words "stolen material" and its acquisition value to the LDS Church triples what Mr. Hajicek paid for this book.
I suppose it also depends on the date of the annotations. Cowdery was exe'd in 1838, so I can see the apologists throwing him under the bus claiming he was an apostate when the notes were made.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am

Well folks this is very strange. One day before John Hajicek's supposed announcement about the 1837 Cowdery BOM annotations and now John's FB page is down. Could it actually be the corporation is buying him out and as a condition of whatever buy-out he has to go dark?!? Inquiring minds want to know.

His old school webpage is still up.
http://www.hajicek.com/

What an interesting fellow, he seems to have been brought up in the strangite tradition and has lived around Wisconsin and Missouri areas close to all branches of Mormonism. He claims to be an independent believing mormon of sorts who got his priesthood from an old strangite book collector.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:30 pm

After 27 weeks John replied to Bill's post on the topic:
Yes, in Madison, Wisconsin, early this year, I purchased a red morocco 1837 Kirtland edition of the Book of Mormon, which was bound personally by Oliver Cowdery for his own use, with his name gilded on the front board. The books has his handwritten annotations included some which say "stolen from" this or that book. The second edition from Kirtland is more rare than the first edition, and sells for the same price or even 50% more. It was more scarce when they first printed it (3,000 copies in 1837 compared to 5,000 copies in 1830). Copies did not survive because of persecution and apostasy at Kirtland. The typesetting was actually done by Oliver Cowdery who sat with Joseph, with the original manuscript and printer's manuscript between them, and an 1830 edition. Together, they made 3,000 corrections to the printer' manuscript and then Oliver Cowdery started to print. But on the fly, Oliver made another 1,000 corrections as he was setting the type. All of those corrections were incorporated into another edition in Nauvoo in 1840. The Nauvoo edition was a revision with less than 50 revisions. In 1842, Joseph himself reprinted the Nauvoo version as the 4th American edition with no more corrections or revisions. Then he died. Meanwhile in England, in 1841, the apostles reprinted the Kirtland edition with British refinements. From the English edition, subsequent Utah editions descend. The Utah editions did not incorporate the Nauvoo revisions until 1981. Anyway, this is the printer's own binding, of the printer's own copy, of the printer's changes, to the printer's manuscript, which was copied from his original manuscript, which was concocted by someone (not the usual suspects) whose name will appear in my forthcoming documentary.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:43 pm

First of all, why is this in Miscellaneous (where I seldom look)?!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:45 pm

First of all, why is this in Miscellaneous (where I seldom look)?!

Second, why don't I know about this guy? He claims to have four copies of the Book of Commandments (most valuable books in mormondom) and 1000 first edition copies of the Book of Mormon. Wow.

Anybody know anything about this forthcoming documentary that he mentioned to Bill Reel?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Hagoth wrote:First of all, why is this in Miscellaneous (where I seldom look)?!

Second, why don't I know about this guy? He claims to have four copies of the Book of Commandments (most valuable books in mormondom) and 1000 first edition copies of the Book of Mormon. Wow.

Anybody know anything about this forthcoming documentary that he mentioned to Bill Reel?
Supposed to come out in 2020. We'll see.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am
Interesting statement: "I am not Mormon exactly, and not practically a member of any regularly organized church, but I believe that the Mormon experience of Joseph Smith was earnest and just."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am
Interesting statement: "I am not Mormon exactly, and not practically a member of any regularly organized church, but I believe that the Mormon experience of Joseph Smith was earnest and just."
I can tell you that Brent Metcafe and Tom Kimball aren't fans and think he might be faking his latest aquisition. I tend to think that he keeps his cards close to his chest to maximize potential income and secure future purchases.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 pm

His approach to Mormonism is that mormon history began and ended really early. Vermont and NY eras of the church rather than all the crazy that came after in Kirtland/Missouri/Nauvoo/Utah. I think his writings will be about all that really early new israelite stuff.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 pm

According to Mr. Hajicek he was at the Assembly hall on temple square yesterday and he had the 1837 Cowdery BOM there available for people to look at. I wish I could have made it down there to have a look for myself. Next time he is in Utah I am going to try and make it to one of his meetups and look at his books.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:55 pm

FB video of John showing off the different printers editions to a Utah crowd. Note how he won't let anyone look inside Oliver's edition even when a woman asks him about notes in them.

Video 1

Video 2