My Adventures

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Give It Time

My Adventures

Post by Give It Time » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:16 am

It's been awhile since I've been here. I thought I'd check in and let you know I'm okay. I thought I'd bring you up to speed, a little bit, on my adventures.

I have had some long standing goals that I have been working on and sitting around commenting on the Church wasn't helping me achieve them, so I decided to curtail a lot of my online activity to focus on those goals. While I was away, my sister invited me to live in Portugal with her. Now, I love my sister, but that's not going to happen. For one thing, my sister is a recovering alcoholic and for various reasons needs the structured support of the Church. We would not be a good match. However, my sister has been a marvelous sister to me and I felt she deserved more of an explanation than my telling her that wouldn't be a good idea. So, I sent an email to her and all of my siblings telling them I no longer have a testimony of the church. I gave a very brief explanation as to why. None of them could refute it. None of them argued and the response was unanimous continued love and support.

So, woohoo! That's terrific! I now feel I can be more authentic with my entire family.

There has been some fallout, but I think it's been relatively minor and creative, but I continue to draw boundaries. Luckily about 40% of my parents' offspring don't believe and so I have some support for those boundaries should someone get it in their mind to try to breach them.

There have been times when I have been, frankly, sitting on my hands not posting. However, I did promise myself I would wait until after conference until posting here to check in. So, I'm saying "Hi".

Hi

:D
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

slavereeno

Re: My Adventures

Post by slavereeno » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:54 am

Glad to hear you can be more open with your family. I envy that! Nice to see you around again.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:23 am

That's an interesting turn of events. Good luck moving forward.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Excellent! I see a brighter happier future ahead for you!
But honestly I do not have any super natural powers of prophesy and discernment, so I just have to go with my gut feeling and my own experience.

Cheers!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Slavareeno, It is nice to be able to be more open with my family. It was very nerve wracking until I heard from all of them. However, once that passed, it hit me that I am now free to resign, if that is what I wish. However, as we are fond of saying here, at Nom, baby steps.

Thank you, Corsair, and believe me, I've just given you the barest highlights.

I like your gut feelings, Rubin.

:)
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren