A good dude for my mom

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Raylan Givens

A good dude for my mom

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Hey crew. Any idea where a 60 year old, widow, who runs her own business and is kicking butt can meet a nice LDS guy? She really doesn't NEED a dude, but she is lonely and would like some companionship.

The LDS dating sites are weird. One guy straight up said he won't date widows, I am guessing because he can't add her to his spiritual harem?
She met one guy, but he is really, really old and just wants someone to sponge bathe him in a few years. Others just aren't that interesting (living in mom's basement, or divorced five times).

Any success with better sites (match, or eHarmony etc) for not very old widows?

Can you recommend other places to meet people?
I recommended ToastMasters, Rotary, and small business get togethers. She is wary of the older singles activities, she looks younger than she is and is embarrassed when a 45 year old hits on her (not the worst problem, but it is akward and she doesn't want to raise their teenage kids).

She is pretty busy, so I am just not sure where to point her...
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

EternityIsNow

Re: A good dude for my mom

Post by EternityIsNow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I've watched this process several times, in close relatives losing spouses and remarrying in late life. One married an old friend, another found someone through networking (a mutual friend). Another through a singles activity. Some were happy, some not so much. Rushing into a marriage in late life can be a very bad experience (seen that too). I think you just have to give this time. Nature finds a way, as they say.
Last edited by EternityIsNow on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:29 pm

A family friend in his early 60s lost his wife. A few weeks later, he introduced his new wife too us. He said he didnt like being alone. He got out his rolodex and started calling female friends. Some were also widows. He literally asked one if she would marry him on the phone that day. He drove to Provo and picked her up the next day and they went and got married. She moved in with him, but still kept her home.
~2bizE

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:33 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:29 pm
A family friend in his early 60s lost his wife. A few weeks later, he introduced his new wife too us. He said he didnt like being alone. He got out his rolodex and started calling female friends. Some were also widows. He literally asked one if she would marry him on the phone that day. He drove to Provo and picked her up the next day and they went and got married. She moved in with him, but still kept her home.
Whoa!!

She isn't in a hurry. She also knows she doesn't want to settle for just anyone. She just sees her best friend who has a super cool boyfriend going on trips and doing fun stuff and she feels left out...

She would like to get out there, but where do you go? Especially when the older singles wards are often filled with lots of creeps. I am waiting for her to meet a super nice doctor/widow who will sweep her off her feet and into his third home on Hawaii ;)
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens