Coyote Gulch in Escalante

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
slk

Coyote Gulch in Escalante

Post by slk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Weird question I know...but just wondering if anyone on here has taken the shortcut that drops you down into Coyote Gulch? I have entered from Hurricane Wash trailhead but it's a long walk just to get inside the Gorge. My main question is if the shortcut is doable for two 49 year old guys with backpacks and gear for 2 nights? I know it's steep sandstone and they recommend ropes but I also heard that scouts go in this way all the time. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thoughtful

Re: Coyote Gulch in Escalante

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:37 am

I would think there are detailed reviews with pictures somewhere online? I'll look it up if I can get on the computer tonight.

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 am

slk wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 pm
Weird question I know...but just wondering if anyone on here has taken the shortcut that drops you down into Coyote Gulch? I have entered from Hurricane Wash trailhead but it's a long walk just to get inside the Gorge. My main question is if the shortcut is doable for two 49 year old guys with backpacks and gear for 2 nights? I know it's steep sandstone and they recommend ropes but I also heard that scouts go in this way all the time. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
I have done this hike twice.

Both times I entered in the lower part of the canyon through crack in the wall and exited through the shortcut you are talking about near Jacob Hamblin arch.

It is steep and it does feel more comfortable doing with ropes.

However, if the rock is dry you have great traction and it is more a challenge of calming your nerves than it is really about safety. It is probably 200 yards long (if my memory is correct) where you have the steepest exposure.

One suggestion would be to take some level of rope with you and just lower your backpacks down in front of you so you don't have to do it with the extra weight on your backs.

Personally I feel more comfortable going up than down.

Return and report.

slk

Post by slk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks for the replies! I did see one pic of some people coming down this route but they didn't have big packs. Either that or they had already lowered them down. I just like the idea of of shaving time off the trip and spending more time down in the Gorge. I will either try the shortcut or crack in the wall as HIPS has done in the past. We are a month away before we go and I'm pretty stoked about sleeping down in the bottom. I've only hiked as far as Jacob Hamblin arch from Hurricane wash trailhead. I'll continue to look for some video of the shortcut. In either July or Aug we're off to the Wind Rivers starting from Big Sandy TH. Will be a first for me.

slk

Post by slk » Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm

I had an amazing weekend camping in Coyote Gulch. Couldn't ask for a better view rolling out of bed and having front row seat to Jacob Hamblin Arch. I recommend it to those who are adventurous but haven't seen it.

So we did go the sneaker route and there were ropes already in place on the final descent. We lowered ourselves with the packs on our backs. Hindsight we probably should have lowered the packs first.

I have to admit I was pretty nervous but also glad I tried it. Thanks again HIPS for your advice. It was spot on.

rincewind

Post by rincewind » Tue May 22, 2018 5:32 am

Another vote for going in through Crack in the Wall and out at Jacob Hamblin. No problem for old fat guys (me) climbing out if you use some judgement in picking your path up. Look to the North of the ropes and you can zig-zag up safely. Coyote Gulch is a wonderful hike. Enjoy!

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 am

slk wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm
I had an amazing weekend camping in Coyote Gulch. Couldn't ask for a better view rolling out of bed and having front row seat to Jacob Hamblin Arch. I recommend it to those who are adventurous but haven't seen it.

So we did go the sneaker route and there were ropes already in place on the final descent. We lowered ourselves with the packs on our backs. Hindsight we probably should have lowered the packs first.

I have to admit I was pretty nervous but also glad I tried it. Thanks again HIPS for your advice. It was spot on.
Glad you had a great time. I no longer live in Utah and am jealous. What a great place for hiking.

slk

Post by slk » Wed May 23, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks rincewind. I'll have to look for that when I go back. I'm sure you learn something every time you're down there. For me, it was check your truck for rattles before taking the 40 mile washboard road. I got passed by a prius and even an outfit that had probably rolled a couple times. They must have taken a corner too fast. I was taking my sweet time because I've got a serious thumping noise on the bumps. Will try and get under there this weekend.

HIPS, that's too bad. Hope you've got some hills to climb where you're located now.