Be One celebration

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Be One celebration

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu May 03, 2018 7:28 am

Looks like they're bringing out the big celebrity stars for this one:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46312996&nid=1016

Corsair

Re: Be One celebration

Post by Corsair » Thu May 03, 2018 8:13 am

They should try to find some descendents of Elijah Abel and Walker Lewis for this event. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or sarcasm.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu May 03, 2018 4:30 pm

“We need to embrace God’s children compassionately and eliminate any prejudice, including racism, sexism and nationalism. Let it be said that we truly believe the blessings of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ are for every child of God,”
M. Russell Ballard

It's too bad he didn't add an apology for the way past leaders made prejudice policies because they didn't have further light and knowledge. It's embarrassing that they try to make a big celebration out of something that should be a big apology. AND he should have added to the end of his quote "except gay people."
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:13 am
They should try to find some descendents of Elijah Abel and Walker Lewis for this event. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or sarcasm.
The KSL story does note that a few black members received the priesthood during the early days of the church according to the church’s website, LDS.org. So your idea makes sense.

The KSL story also says that Church records offer no clear insights into discontinuing the priesthood for black males of African descent. But it adds "Church leaders believed that a revelation from God was needed to alter this practice and prayerfully sought guidance”.

The story omits all that the Church had to say about its justification for this racial discrimination during the interim.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha