Cobra Kai

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mad Jax

Cobra Kai

Post by Mad Jax » Sun May 06, 2018 2:09 am

Anybody who liked the original Karate Kid films will probably enjoy this series. It's only available on youTube Red but you can get the first two episodes on regular youTube if it's something that piques your interest.

The thing I like most (and there's a lot to like) is the fact that it's not just a "status quo extension" and not pure role reversal either. Most of the students who go to Cobra Kai are the outcasts instead of the kids whose parents can fork out the cash for the best training, but Johnny Lawrence is still the same magnificent bastard he's always been. I think if the original holds a place in your heart you'll really like this series. And it isn't just a bunch of nostalgia driven fan service. Of course there has to be some of that, but it doesn't feel overdone. I think it stalled just a bit in the early episodes after a strong start, but it gets back on track pretty quickly. I'd say it's a worthy follow up to the 80s films.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

w2mz

Re: Cobra Kai

Post by w2mz » Thu May 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Honestly I wouldn’t have watched this if I hadn’t seen your recommendation and review, but I watched the first two episodes yesterday and I liked them. I was an 80’s teenager and I loved all the flash backs, the red firebird, and the rock n roll. 😀

Thanks for the tip!
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Mad Jax

Re: Cobra Kai

Post by Mad Jax » Thu May 10, 2018 2:33 pm

w2mz wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:16 pm
I was an 80’s teenager and I loved all the flash backs, the red firebird, and the rock n roll. 😀
Same here. The original wasn't the film that contributed most to my interest in the martial arts, but it did get me to start thinking of training when I was a teenager (my mom said no - not because she was against it but because the lessons were costly). So in a way I have that film to partly thank for inspiring maintaining good physical condition even in my late 40s.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.