Queer Eye

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Kalikala

Queer Eye

Post by Kalikala » Mon May 07, 2018 11:56 pm

Oh my goodness, I think I’m love with this show! Talk about love and acceptance! Feelin’ the warm fuzzies! 💕
"The opposite of Faith is not Doubt, it's Certainty." ~ Anne Lamott

Love More.

Just This Guy

Re: Queer Eye

Post by Just This Guy » Tue May 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Old version or the new version.

I actually rather like the old version. I have tried, but can't get into the new one.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Kalikala

Post by Kalikala » Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Oooh, I didn’t know there was an old version. I will have to find it.

Love More.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed May 09, 2018 5:43 pm

The show originally ran from 2003 to 2007. 100 episodes were made. If you are interested, South Park did a Parody episode "South Park is Gay" Season 7, Episode 8. One of their move well known episodes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_Eye
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Kalikala

Post by Kalikala » Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 pm

My husband absolutely loves South Park! Thanks for the info!

Love More.

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:27 pm

I've watched a few episodes of the new one and I like it. I avoided it the first time because I felt like I had to reject all of those models of appropriate behavior as a gay man in order to make progress in my reparative therapy. Sad, huh? I couldn't even acknowledge the gifts many gay men have to give all of us...

BTW, the Pakistani-American guy is married to a Mormon dude in SLC.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:15 pm

OK..... better late than ever, but this is a great show.

I can't believe how in the closet my mind was. I seriously grew up with almost no understanding of the idea of "gay". In high school of course my mind came out of the closet but the mormon paradigm slanted my views. Still I didn't have any gay friends, or at least I didn't know of any.
Sadly, when I returned from my mission, I learned that one of my best friends had come out to his parents and was immediately evicted from his home. Being the good RM that I was I never made the effort to find him and reconnect. A few years later, I learned of his death.

I don't have many regrets in my life, but being ignorant of an important community is one. I am committed to be supportive and loving to all of our fellow humans.

This show is a start. It has opened my eyes and my tear ducts.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:21 am

The new group appeared on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. One of the cast is Tan France who lives in Utah. There was a story about him in the Salt Lake Tribune.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha