Scouting is dead

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Scouting is dead

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue May 08, 2018 6:10 pm

That's it, the scouts in Utah will be fully dead within a year I predict, save a few other religion's sponsored units.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46316676&nid=1 ... of-america

GoodBoy

Re: Scouting is dead

Post by GoodBoy » Tue May 08, 2018 6:50 pm

That didn't take long after Monson died.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Tue May 08, 2018 8:06 pm

Wow
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm

I wonder how my relatives are going to react to this. Probably just shrug it off and accept the decision I suppose. My parents have been super involved in scouts. We're just trying to figure out the schedule so they can be here for my youngest's Eagle court of honor. And my relative who's been pouring so much effort and passion into preparing for leading girls in scouts. I don't know that they'll have the same passion for whatever replacement the church comes up with. I'm sure some members will be glad not to have to deal with Scouting but I wonder how much excitement the new program will generate.

I suspect that long term this move isn't going to be very effective for the church. But I'm not sure what they could do that talky would be.
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Wed May 09, 2018 6:39 am

Now maybe the BSA can abandon its last remaining discrimination.

I think the BSA is heading in a better, more sustainable direction. They've long been held captive by conservative religions. Now they're opening up membership to.half the population and losing the Mormons. In contrast to the assertion in the title I don't think scouting is dead. Certainly in Utah participation is going to plummet. There are big changes going on. But I think somehow it will manage to survive without the Mormon church. And possibly be better for it.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed May 09, 2018 8:06 am

There are plenty of Non-LDS troops in Utah that will carry on just fine. Hopefully mormons who are really into Scouting will migrate to those troops. It will definitely be interesting to watch scouting evolve. Honestly, it will be better without LDS influence.

So after 2019, being an "Eagle Scout" won't mean anything on the Mormon Cred Scale any more eh? That thought was definitely un-thinkable even 20 years ago. :o In my family, getting your Eagle was right up there with a mission in importance.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Never was much of a scouter and I hated like hell when some bozo- my brother included- made their kids get their Eagle badge before they could get their driver's license.

Say what you want- the LDS Church is way more organized than the Scouts and will be just fine without them. No more begging for money for scouts.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Thu May 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 pm
Say what you want- the LDS Church is way more organized than the Scouts and will be just fine without them. No more begging for money for scouts.
I don't know. In my troop, we've never gotten to a troop meeting without a plan and just played basketball.

slk

Post by slk » Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 am

Old topic...but my thoughts are: young men that are still interested in scouting will probably not want to be busy two back to back nights during the week. In other words, they won't want to attend non-denominational scouts one night and then a LDS young mens meeting the following night. Most kids still want a life. If getting their eagle means that much to them, they won't worry about achieving their Sons of Helaman award or whatever they call it. So...in the end I think it will hurt them and it will be harder to maintain control over the youth.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri May 25, 2018 11:14 am

slk wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 am
Old topic...but my thoughts are: young men that are still interested in scouting will probably not want to be busy two back to back nights during the week. In other words, they won't want to attend non-denominational scouts one night and then a LDS young mens meeting the following night. Most kids still want a life. If getting their eagle means that much to them, they won't worry about achieving their Sons of Helaman award or whatever they call it. So...in the end I think it will hurt them and it will be harder to maintain control over the youth.
They may want the Eagle, but their parents still believe in the prophetic nature of the Q15. For many families, it no longer matters if their 14 year old wants to earn his Eagle Scout - he'll participate in the programs outlined by the church. No dialog, no discussion, just an expectation that this is how we do things now.

slk

Post by slk » Fri May 25, 2018 1:42 pm

IT Vet, I have no doubt many parents will have that mindset. Little do they know that the Sons of Helaman award doesn't mean diddly squat to employers unless you live in Provo. People have been putting "eagle scout" on their resume for years and years. It's hard to say how it will affect the control of the youth down the road. I can kind of see it going both ways. I'm hoping for the same effect of what lowering the mission age requirement had on the church.