NNN back with more cringe worthy confrontations

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.

wtfluff

Re: NNN back with more cringe worthy confrontations

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Whatever you do, don't tell kids the truth!!!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 am

You're welcome at church.

Well, you're not welcome at church but a version of you that we're bullying you into being is welcome at church.

We'll be right here by your side at all times... to let you know how welcome you are.

- - -

IMO this is one of the harder things about trying to find a middle way, accepting the fact that continued attendance at church often translates into having to remain silent.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

slk

Post by slk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:18 pm

This dude was way too apologetic after.

I would have traveled up to ID to watch this.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:21 am

Man he really got dressed down afterward. :lol:

Internet gold.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

cpy911

Post by cpy911 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 am

I don't think this was the right approach that this guy took. Would I go into a Mosque and speak about how Mohammad was a false prophet? Or walk into a synagogue and tell them they are wrong in not accepting Jesus? This guy has real feelings that need to be processed. But he does not need to broadcast like that to that audience.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:40 pm

cpy911 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 am
I don't think this was the right approach that this guy took. Would I go into a Mosque and speak about how Mohammad was a false prophet? Or walk into a synagogue and tell them they are wrong in not accepting Jesus? This guy has real feelings that need to be processed. But he does not need to broadcast like that to that audience.
It's a tough call. Granted, you are not a former Muslim who has been emotionally abused by belief and practice. But this guy who talked at the pulpit was a former believing Mormon who was emotionally abused by belief and practice. Where is the correct forum to speak with believers?

Frankly, there isn't one and any possible place that this might take place will be conscientiously avoided by your believing friends, family, and ward members. It was cringe-inducing and awkward to watch those conversation. Believers really don't want to have them with you. I have had a couple of close family members try to throw apologetic material at me then quickly back away without engaging me on the subject. I don't know a good solution to this detente.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 am

There's another view that says one person in the congregation may actually dig into what this man said and end up leaving and being happier. Sort of the Alma and the priests of Noah story. You never know.