First drink

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Thoughtful

First drink

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:11 pm

I had a pina colada with dinner. It was good. My first drink ever...

It had absolutely no effect on me though. I had been hoping I would feel something different than a virgin drink?

How many drinks to get a little buzz?

IT_Veteran

Re: First drink

Post by IT_Veteran » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:11 pm
I had a pina colada with dinner. It was good. My first drink ever...

It had absolutely no effect on me though. I had been hoping I would feel something different than a virgin drink?

How many drinks to get a little buzz?
It depends entirely on the drink and the size of it. I prefer whiskeys and bourbons, but it still takes a couple to feel much.

I think the fact it took so long to figure that out speaks to the misinformation about alcohol we receive in the church.

Keep in mind that 1.5 oz of 40% alcohol (whiskey, vodka, etc), one 5 oz glass of wine, and a 12 oz beer all contain an equivalent amount of alcohol.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Alcohol 101:
1 drink = about the amount of alcohol in about one 12 oz beer, one 5 oz glass of wine, or one 1.5 oz shot of hard (distilled) liquor. A "mixed drink" is usually about one shot of hard liquor mixed with other stuff to make it less nasty.

For most people you will hardly feel anything after one drink. After two drinks you will start to feel a little buzz, and after three drinks you probably aren't safe to drive. Four and five = you are going to start losing control of yourself.

Drinking with food lessens the effect of alcohol, while drinking on an empty stomach makes it worse (better?). If you are big and have a lot of blood, the alcohol will be diluted and therefore the effect on you will be much smaller than it will be on someone who is small and has less blood to dilute it in.

Your body can take about the equivalent of one drink out of your blood stream per hour. So you can drink a lot without losing control if you spread it out over a long period of time.

It is much more difficult to become drunk with beer because you have to consume so much liquid (can you drink 4-5 sodas in an hour?), where as if your objective is to become a slobbering drunk, then distilled (concentrated) alcohol is the easiest way to do it (taking shots). However, taking shots is not enjoyable at all.

Bottom line is if you can keep it to one or two drinks you are not going to embarrass yourself.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:49 pm

I found this video entertaining of Irish people trying American moonshine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y7bS3kKYV0
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:04 pm

My understanding is that drinking with water helps to reduce the effects and lessen hangovers. A Pina Colota includes crushed ice as part of the drink, so that helps to dilute the effects of the alcohol. The recipes I am seeing have between equal to 50% more water (ice) than alcohol so you are getting your booze and water in one go.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks, all. I'm tall, and I ate a salad and a full dinner, probably 3 glasses of water and the drink. Over about 90 minutes time.

So I guess that makes sense that I felt nothing. These places selling a drink for $14 and you need 2-3 for anything interesting to happen... maybe I should save up and buy a bar!

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:12 am

Interestingly enough as I got more experience drinking I came to recognize the influence of alcohol better so now I'm more likely to recognize an influence from a single drink as coming from the alcohol rather than attributing it to being around friends, or a relaxing dinner, or chilling on the couch or what have you.
GoodBoy wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 pm
drink = about the amount of alcohol in about one 12 oz beer, one 5 oz glass of wine, or one 1.5 oz shot of hard (distilled) liquor. A "mixed drink" is usually about one shot of hard liquor mixed with other stuff to make it less nasty.
A 12 oz beer being equivalent to one standard drink is based on a 5% beer, if you drink craft beer you'll easy encounter beers that are stronger than that. If you're drinking Budweiser or Pabst the rule holds, no so much for Devastator Double Bock.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 pm
Thanks, all. I'm tall, and I ate a salad and a full dinner, probably 3 glasses of water and the drink. Over about 90 minutes time.

So I guess that makes sense that I felt nothing. These places selling a drink for $14 and you need 2-3 for anything interesting to happen... maybe I should save up and buy a bar!

If you can have the stuff in your house, learning to make your own drinks will save you money and can be really fun.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Glad you enjoyed a first. There is definitely an unique taste to alcoholic beverages. Overtime, you are less senstive. Based on your description, it probably wasn't enough to fell much of an effect based on your stature, time, water and full dinner.

First, I'm the last person on earth you should accept advice from.

Assuming you want to feel a buzz, start your evening with a drink, on an empty stomach. The stomach absorbs about 10% of the alcohol you ingest, the remainder is absorbed through the small intestine. The more you eat, the more your stomach closes off to the intestines so it takes more and more alcohol. If you start with a drink it will help start the buzz then you can enjoy the rest of your time. If you eat a lot then drink, it'll take more. This is why it's common to get a drink from the bar while waiting for your table. Good time to get the party started and loosen up.

Depending on a variety of factors, I might take 2-3 drinks for a good buzz. Getting drunk can take 5-10 drinks depending on factors.

As noted, 1 beer = 1 wine glass = 1 shot. But this is only a rough estimate. 1 beer at home might be 12 oz vs a pint at a pub is 16-20 oz. Some spirits are harder than others ranging 30% to 50%

Sometimes it's easy to pound 4 beers, other times you feel like your insides are swimming.

Generally, when Mrs Kish and I go out and we get drinks with dinner, I'll drive. A couple drinks have more effect on her than me. She immediately orders something when we arrive and then another by the start of meal. All the alcohol is gone by the middle of the meal.

As you noted, it gets expensive, quickly. $10-$14 for a mixed drink is normal. I rarely go out if I plan to have more than 1 or 2 drinks, it's just too expensive. But an extra $30 to help enjoy a meal with your spouse is worth it.

Good luck! and Enjoy exploring and experimenting.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 pm

New drinkers could always ask for a Salt Lake Mule.

Salt Lake Mule
Sprite over ice
Several dashes Grenadine syrup
Cherry on top
Served in a copper mug

Unfortunately, the above drink has too much kick for anyone from Utah County.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:12 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 pm
New drinkers could always ask for a Salt Lake Mule.

Salt Lake Mule
Sprite over ice
Several dashes Grenadine syrup
Cherry on top
Served in a copper mug

Unfortunately, the above drink has too much kick for anyone from Utah County.
Even a ginger beer would be better...lol

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:12 am
Love a good spicy ginger beer.

Alas, the trouble is with the name; although ginger beer is non-alcoholic, it still has the word beer in the title. As you know, we must avoid the appearance of evil, except when it comes to finances. With finances, the mafia code of omerta (silence) must be observed.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:05 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:41 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:12 am
Love a good spicy ginger beer.

Alas, the trouble is with the name; although ginger beer is non-alcoholic, it still has the word beer in the title. As you know, we must avoid the appearance of evil, except when it comes to finances. With finances, the mafia code of omerta (silence) must be observed.
My son recently began working at a local restaurant and posted a picture of a housemade ginger beer, proclaiming it as such. My TBM mom responded "Like root beer but with ginger?". I could almost feel the palpable relief from 200 miles away when I affirmed that it is non-alcoholic.

Especially because you can see all the bottles of alcohol behind the bar the way he took the photo.