Mormons Against Marijuana

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
moksha

Mormons Against Marijuana

Post by moksha » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:44 am

I finally found some reasons why Mormons should vehemently oppose marijuana!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXPOw2unxy0
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Re: Mormons Against Marijuana

Post by MoPag » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Very informative. I remember D.A.R.E. from elementary school. :lol: Good times!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

dispirited

Post by dispirited » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm completely in favor of legalizing marijuana. I'm for taking the crime out of it. Tax it if you want, but spending millions of dollars in policing it, along with the incarceration of thousands of people dosent make sence to me.

AzCommando

Post by AzCommando » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:13 am

I admit to being squishy on the subject. The independent and libertarian part of me supports legalizing it. Another part of me takes another position. Here in Arizona I ended up voting against it three weeks ago. So there you go.

One thing I know for sure is that it's a hell of a business for many on all sides.
Just like alcohol, gambling, and religion.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:42 pm

dispirited wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:03 pm
I'm completely in favor of legalizing marijuana. I'm for taking the crime out of it. Tax it if you want, but spending millions of dollars in policing it, along with the incarceration of thousands of people dosent make sence to me.
Our current corrections system is basically prison for profit, so in that context it does make sense.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

achilles

Post by achilles » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:15 pm

As a chronic pain patient in Utah, I kind of hope everyone opposed to legalization gets struck with cancer and has to go through intensely painful and nauseating chemo, thereby developing empathy for pain sufferers who would be helped by mj. Really. (Sorry)
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

achilles

Post by achilles » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:16 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:44 am

I love the one when Adam ruins cirumcision.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu May 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Never understood the need to get high or buzzed. Not ever remotely appealing to me. Seems like a lazy way to recreate.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Newme

Post by Newme » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:36 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:44 am

Interesting. That guy, Adam, is informative & funny.

I haven't smoked pot since I was a teen, & I don't plan too (often made me feel paranoid), but for some, it may be a healthier option than side effects of alcohol & many prescription drugs.

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:15 am

dispirited wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:03 pm
I'm all for medical marijuana. But all these high (is that the right word?) drivers are on our roads, since I live in a place where you can buy it on every corner now. There's no plan, no way to measure impairment, and now no law that says they shouldn't have gotten high in the first place. It really stresses me out.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:13 pm

I assumed this was the best reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpIyaIHsJbc
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:25 am

There have been several state referendums in Arizona about legalization. It was always entertaining to be at family dinners with my wife's conservative family and reveal that I was voting for legalization. They were not happy about that but their reasons were pretty flimsy. Their opposition was clearly based on the Word of Wisdom which even they knew would not stand up in secular legislation.