Former fundamentalist neighbors

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Former fundamentalist neighbors

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:23 am

I recently discovered that our new next door neighbor (the wife) was a former polygamist group child. She disclosed this to my wife. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to talk to her about my own experience trying to get beyond mainstream mormonism, but then I back off the idea not wanting to seem like I'm prying for gossipy reasons. I think about the difficulty of trying to escape the mind control of mainstream mormonism vs fundamentalist isolated groups and I wonder which would be more difficult.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Former fundamentalist neighbors

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:48 am

Blashyrkh wrote:I grew up across the street from some of the Kingston clan. They mostly kept to themselves and only a few went to public school. I became close friends with Joseph Kingston. He was one heck of a basketball player. For the most part they were decent neighbors.
There seems to be a lot of good ball players coming out of polygamy. The deaf NBA player Allred from the AUB that was interviewed on mormon stories comes to mind.