Social Media Contact Swap?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
profit_seizer

Social Media Contact Swap?

Post by profit_seizer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Hey everyone! You wanna follow each other on social media?

I'm https://twitter.com/@_b_e_n_c_ (Twitter)
and https://anarchism.space/@ben_c (Mastodon)
and...eh I'll skip giving out FB info, I don't use that anyway.
"The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening." —Peter Kropotkin

Lithium Sunset

Re: Social Media Contact Swap?

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:52 am

I don't have either of those. I have sworn off twitter for life haha. I do follow wasatchmaximus, a nom who posts beautiful (and fun) nature pictures on Instagram. Facebook is a big fat no for most I would think, what an annoying place.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:21 am

Lithium Sunset wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:52 am
I don't have either of those. I have sworn off twitter for life haha. I do follow wasatchmaximus, a nom who posts beautiful (and fun) nature pictures on Instagram. Facebook is a big fat no for most I would think, what an annoying place.
Thanks Lithium! I'm trying to have fun and enjoy life outside the 9-5/5; those pics and vids are the fruits of my labors. I like hanging out with awesome photographers and going on adventures with them, although I don't consider myself one of them. I try to put no pressure on myself to get to a point where I'd sell my work, I think that would take away the joy I get from my hobby. But occasionally somebody wants a print and I'm happy to give them a free digital or print one up at cost.

I got off FB about 6 years ago. I never found a compelling use for Twitter when it first came out so I killed that account several years ago as well. Instagram is it for me, other than occasional visits to YouTube and NOM.

Killing FB was something I did just as I was getting more serious about my faith transition. I started getting really annoyed when the stake and COB started emphasizing preaching from your social media platform. Suddenly I had all these local TBMs from the local units friending me and their crappy sappy posts were clogging up my feed. It was just as bad as someone who only posts pictures of their food! My feed was just pics and non-political thoughts. I'd had enough, so I took two months to delete every post, comment, picture, gallery, like, anything I'd ever done over the 3-4 years I was on there. Then I unfriended everyone, changed the personal data, moved it to a temp gmail account, let it sit for a few months, requested the delete, let it sit for another few months, then got then finally got the message asking if I was really really sure I wanted to remove the account and have it unrecoverable. It was no easy task and I'm sure the NSA still has a copy of it on their servers, but I don't give a crap, there was nothing on there of value anyway.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:34 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:21 am
Thanks Lithium! I'm trying to have fun and enjoy life outside the 9-5/5; those pics and vids are the fruits of my labors. I like hanging out with awesome photographers and going on adventures with them, although I don't consider myself one of them. I try to put no pressure on myself to get to a point where I'd sell my work, I think that would take away the joy I get from my hobby. But occasionally somebody wants a print and I'm happy to give them a free digital or print one up at cost.

I got off FB about 6 years ago. I never found a compelling use for Twitter when it first came out so I killed that account several years ago as well. Instagram is it for me, other than occasional visits to YouTube and NOM.

Killing FB was something I did just as I was getting more serious about my faith transition. I started getting really annoyed when the stake and COB started emphasizing preaching from your social media platform. Suddenly I had all these local TBMs from the local units friending me and their crappy sappy posts were clogging up my feed. It was just as bad as someone who only posts pictures of their food! My feed was just pics and non-political thoughts. I'd had enough, so I took two months to delete every post, comment, picture, gallery, like, anything I'd ever done over the 3-4 years I was on there. Then I unfriended everyone, changed the personal data, moved it to a temp gmail account, let it sit for a few months, requested the delete, let it sit for another few months, then got then finally got the message asking if I was really really sure I wanted to remove the account and have it unrecoverable. It was no easy task and I'm sure the NSA still has a copy of it on their servers, but I don't give a crap, there was nothing on there of value anyway.

No problem, I meant what I said. Oh, I forgot to mention you had a good looking cat (that looks very similar to mine) but I guess that wasnt relevant haha. You're too modest but I think that is a good thing and I can definity see where trying to make money would take fun out of it.
Nice fossil collection. Hope the weather is good out there, looks like a beautiful full moon tonight.

That was a lot of work to get off of Facebook but a good idea. I get on less every passing day. I need to just write down all the birthdays and be done with it. One nice thing, a classmate recently went through my feed/old photos and called my soon to be ex disgusting and ugly haha, she then added I could do so much better. I have to admit that was enjoyeable and worth the extra time.
I have to say, I have started to use youtube a lot- music, CrashCourse, etc.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder