Winnemucca

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Emower

Winnemucca

Post by Emower » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:37 pm

This is a boring town. If you have to stop somewhere along I-80, dont expect much out of Winnemucca. I am here for a conference (Nevada Cattleman's Association). I grew up in small towns, I dont need a night life. But if it is going to be a small town it needs to be somewhat picturesque and have a small town feel. Winnemucca does not have that feel.

Evil_Bert

Re: Winnemucca

Post by Evil_Bert » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 pm

It could be worse. You could be in Battle Mountain. It was voted the armpit of America.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:49 pm

I spent New Year's Eve in Carver/ Round Mountain, Nevada years ago. That was an interesting place. I'll take Winnemuca and Battle Mountain anyday! :lol:
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Evil_Bert wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 pm
It could be worse. You could be in Battle Mountain. It was voted the armpit of America.
When I read the first post, I immediately thought of Battle Mountain.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:43 pm

I served my mission in Albert and British Columbia. Some of the residents of towns like Nelson or Cranbrook openly said that if the planet Earth needed an enema, it would be inserted in some podunk town in southern British Columbia.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:16 am

Wonder where the town of East Carbon City, Utah would fall on this scale? Since 1989 the East Carbon Development Company has been receiving the voluminous solid wastes from Los Angeles. They also take in harbor dredgings from New York City and other places. 42,000-tons-per-day of wastes. The bad thing is when fires occur from all that methane, but garbage has to go somewhere, right?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:58 am

Honey moon night from the first marriage was spent in a hotel in Winnemucca, maybe that was the bad omen. It was late in the day after all the wedding stuff, so we stopped there on our way to Yosemite. As far as a city, yeah it's nothing to write home about. But compared to driving around the flat parts of the midwest, corn field after corn field, I'll take a drive through Nevada down past Battle Mountain and those other places any day! At least there are mountains to break up the landscape.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Evil_Bert wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 pm
Hmm, that is true.
HighMaintenance wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:49 pm
I spent New Year's Eve in Carver/ Round Mountain, Nevada years ago. That was an interesting place. I'll take Winnemuca and Battle Mountain anyday! :lol:
I have spent some time out there as well, I didnt mind it. There were some mountains.

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:14 pm

I spent a night of my honeymoon in Austin, Nevada. Stall #2 at the Pony Canyon Motel.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Emower wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:05 pm
HighMaintenance wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:49 pm
I have spent some time out there as well, I didnt mind it. There were some mountains.
The mine tour was interesting - big trucks! Boyfriends brother's friend that had adopted a few BLM mustangs was also a fun experience, though apparently they were also hoarders with narrow pathways through their trailer which makes me glad I stayed outside discussing the horses. As an 18-year-old, I don't know that I could have lived there, but now as a 50-year-old, I can almost appreciate the seclusion.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:12 pm

I used to go through the small cities around there when I would size electric motors for mines. Funny that Battle Mountain was brought up, I rank it near Rock Springs.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens