What are your hobbies?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Zadok

Re: What are your hobbies?

Post by Zadok » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:50 pm

nibbler wrote:
cwald wrote:Horror movies.
Recommendations?
Any of the temple movies scare the hell out of me, providing I can stay awake.
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

cwald

Post by cwald » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:34 pm

nibbler wrote:
cwald wrote:Horror movies.
Recommendations?
Well, there are always the classics...

The Thing
Army of Darkness
Aliens
Halloween I & II
Planet Terror
Death Proof
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Corsair wrote:Video games on the Sabbath ("Nuclear launch detected" [bonus points if you can name that game])
Easy peasy, Supreme Commander!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:34 pm

LostMormon wrote:
Corsair wrote:Video games on the Sabbath ("Nuclear launch detected" [bonus points if you can name that game])
Easy peasy, Supreme Commander!
Good guess, I had not thought of that one. But it's actually Starcraft from Blizzard Software.

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:00 pm

dang! I was sure I had that one right. I didn't realize starcraft also had nukes, but I know supreme commander does, quite fun indeed. I'm going to have to get starcraft one of these days, if I only get one, which one would you recommend, is the one you linked to the best of the series?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:42 pm

LostMormon wrote:dang! I was sure I had that one right. I didn't realize starcraft also had nukes, but I know supreme commander does, quite fun indeed. I'm going to have to get starcraft one of these days, if I only get one, which one would you recommend, is the one you linked to the best of the series?
The one I linked is the latest in the series. There is really only Starcraft 1 (released in 1998) with the Brood War Expansion (1999) and then the much more modern Starcraft 2 which came out in three releases (Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm, Legacy of the Void). The original version can probably be found for quite cheap. The Starcraft 2 releases each told a continuing story so Wings of Liberty would be first followed by Swarm and then Legacy.

sirensong

Post by sirensong » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:53 am

hobbies...

music (sing, flute, guitar, some piano - want to learn: banjo, mandolin, ukulele)
writing (poetry, long rambling missives, essays
reading (currently reading the outlander series by Diana Gabaldon)
discussing things of substance with like-minded individuals
discussing things with witty, intelligent people
people-watching (observational research in the human plight sounds better than creepy voyeuristic chick in the corner)
throwing a hell of a work shindig (unofficial party planner of my team)
taking classes at Ohio State University (for free even!) - I'm currently taking a class that has quickly become my all-time favorite - "gender, sex and power" - my first foray in academic feminism - I LOVE IT!!!!
crocheting - it's therapeutic and calming for me. it's how i would be able to make it through sacrament meeting. quietly crocheting all the stress away...
searching for great thrift store finds - i like finding beauty and usefulness in the things other people cast aside...

these are a few of my favorite things, but taking classes in addition to working full-time leaves me with little opportunity to pursue most of these anymore...
and in the end... the love you take is equal to the love you make...
~lennon/mccartney

FamilySearch

Post by FamilySearch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:06 pm

If i look at how I spend my time then my hobby is work, but while I like my job there are things that bring me true joy:
Hiking
Backpacking
Birdwatching
Hunting
Drawing/Painting/Sculpting - I rarely make time for art anymore :(
"There is grandeur in this view of life, ... from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." - Charles Darwin

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:14 am

Corsair wrote: My actual hobbies are a little more esoteric including:
Network traffic inspection ("Oh, that's what you were looking at on the web")
Annoying my children with DNS exploits ("Youtube.com keeps redirecting you to a 'watchingpaintdry.com'? Weird")
Video games on the Sabbath ("Nuclear launch detected" [bonus points if you can name that game])

StarCraft is the game. What do you do that you would make WireShark a hobby? I moved from Route/Switch to network security back in June. Loads of fun.

As for hobbies:

Reading
Crossfit
Video games
History - Napoleonic era, American Civil War, World War I and 2
Wargaming miniatures and board games
travel
Kids

I am sure there are more, but I can't remember.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:21 am

Hobbies?

Chauffeuring kids to extra-curricular activities.
Watching kids' extra-curricular activities.
Cleaning up after kids.
Spending too much time on DAMU message boards.
Listening to DAMU podcasts.
Worshiping Gravity on silly wooden toys and bicycles.

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:51 am

Evil_Bert wrote:StarCraft is the game. What do you do that you would make WireShark a hobby? I moved from Route/Switch to network security back in June. Loads of fun.
I do network security for a large company. Specifically, I look at incoming consumer web traffic looking for scans and exploits. I see a lot of traffic and it is quite interesting to me.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:41 pm

-kids
-grad school
-DIY projects (the real kinds with power tools and lots of trips to the hardware store)
-watching Netflix/Acorn TV late at night (I love BBC shows, thus Acorn.)

Yep, that pretty much fills any and all available time. Sometimes, it fills too much time. Like right now, when I should be working on one of these things...

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:48 pm

sirensong wrote:hobbies...

I love the Outlander series. Are you watching it on STARZ?

My hobbies:
Yoga
Swimming
Meditation
Gardening (mostly vegetables)
XBOX (mostly Oblivion and Skyrim)
Cooking
Sewing (I used to work in professional theater as a seamstress and pattern maker.)
Checking in at NOM :)
And of course taking care of my kids and dogs.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:27 pm

slk wrote:Pretty much about everything w2Mz likes and also cruising. I love visiting the the ruins in central america because it really strengthens my testmony of the BoM. :D
My vote for the Humor Award!
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

sirensong

Post by sirensong » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:24 pm

sirensong wrote:
hobbies...

I love the Outlander series. Are you watching it on STARZ
I am watching it on STARZ. I LOVE IT. I first got into it in a roundabout way of crochet. i had a shop on etsy where i sold some of the scarves and stuff that i make. one of my customers told me how much she loved my stuff because it reminded her of some of the things that claire wears on outlander. i had never heard of outlander till then. so i checked out some stills from the show to see what my customer was talking about. loved what i saw, found out there was a book series and that was all it took. i'm hooked (crochet pun only slightly intended). i can't wait till season 3 starts. and i started following diana gabaldon on facebook and it's wonderful because she posts snippets of the new book that she's currently writing... she is a fabulous writer...
and in the end... the love you take is equal to the love you make...
~lennon/mccartney

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:10 am

sirensong wrote:
sirensong wrote:
hobbies...

I love the Outlander series. Are you watching it on STARZ
I am watching it on STARZ. I LOVE IT. I first got into it in a roundabout way of crochet. i had a shop on etsy where i sold some of the scarves and stuff that i make. one of my customers told me how much she loved my stuff because it reminded her of some of the things that claire wears on outlander. i had never heard of outlander till then. so i checked out some stills from the show to see what my customer was talking about. loved what i saw, found out there was a book series and that was all it took. i'm hooked (crochet pun only slightly intended). i can't wait till season 3 starts. and i started following diana gabaldon on facebook and it's wonderful because she posts snippets of the new book that she's currently writing... she is a fabulous writer...

That's awesome! The books-aside from being amazing- really helped me through my faith transition. STARZ is doing an excellent job taking it from page to screen. It's honestly one of the best book to screen adaptations I've ever seen. Season 3 is going to be epic! I love reading Diana's daily lines on her Facebook page. She really cares about her readers.

I'm so happy I found another Outlander fan on NOM! :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:32 pm

Fifi de la Vergne wrote:Reading, especially historical fiction, really gritty, character-driven mysteries, some fantasy, and history -- especially 20th century and American Civil War, or British if it's about the Tudors or the Plantaganets
Yes! I also like to read historical non-fiction, good biography, anything that can transport me to another place and time. And I'm a huge classics fan, Jane Austen, Dickens, the Brontes, Thomas Hardy. No one ever wants to read the books that I recommend. ;)

I tried quilting once or twice and have decided that I'm a confirmed cross-stitcher, with some Hardanger and canvaswork on the side.

And I'm a public radio nerd. I fangirled when I saw the YouthRadio building on a trip to Oakland. Seriously in need of help here.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

alas

Post by alas » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:32 pm

ATVing, looking for fellow ATVers in Bear Lake area
Hiking,
Kayaking
Scuba
Photography,
Grandkids, kids
Music,
Painting,

Used to love gardening, canning home grown stuff, but moved away from the yard where that was possible.

May possibly return to clowning, depending on DH or finding a clown alley.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:14 am

Emower wrote:Playing the banjo
Fly fishing
Metalwork. I am a blacksmith.
Those three take up most of my time.
Please tell me you live somewhere in the vicinity of the Wasatch Front. PM me if you're not comfortable put that in the open.

Emower

Post by Emower » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Hermey wrote:
Emower wrote:Playing the banjo
Fly fishing
Metalwork. I am a blacksmith.
Those three take up most of my time.
Please tell me you live somewhere in the vicinity of the Wasatch Front. PM me if you're not comfortable put that in the open.

Nope, sorry. I live in southern New Mexico. Are you into any of that?