Bots

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Emower

Bots

Post by Emower » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:19 pm

What are the Bots that I see listed as online people at the bottom of the screen on the board index? This is probably a dumb question, is it basically the google search engine returning results to people searching through google?

Red Ryder

Re: Bots

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:16 am

Web crawlers that index websites for search engines.

Copy and paste from goooooogle search:

There are various uses for web crawlers, but essentially a web crawler is used to collect/mine data from the Internet. Most search engines use it as a means of providing up-to-date data and to find what’s new on the Internet. Analytics companies and market researchers use web crawlers to determine customer and market trends in a given geography.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:35 am

Red Ryder is correct. This forum uses software called PhpBB. It is designed with a simple interface that encourages search engines to find posts and data. I have seen American (Googlebot), Russian (Yandex), and Chinese (Baidu) search bots on this site.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:35 am
Red Ryder is correct. This forum uses software called PhpBB. It is designed with a simple interface that encourages search engines to find posts and data. I have seen American (Googlebot), Russian (Yandex), and Chinese (Baidu) search bots on this site.
What about the one that says: SCMC [Bot]?

(SCMC™ is of course a registered Trademark™. Wouldn't want to mention it without the proper terminology so as to not upset the Corporate owner.)

:ugeek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:07 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:02 pm
What about the one that says: SCMC [Bot]?

(SCMC™ is of course a registered Trademark™. Wouldn't want to mention it without the proper terminology so as to not upset the Corporate owner.)
They have had some technical difficulties recently because the LDS web bot programmers were ordered to rename them "Bots of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a registered trademark of the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Quorum of the Strengthening Church Members Committee". The bot software had to be updated to hold the longer name.