Christmas devotional

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Christmas devotional

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Wife put on the FP Christmas devotional this evening and I listened in. The question that came to mind is why President Nelson chose to highlight the family with the daughter who had brain cancer?

No story of giving her a miracle healing blessing.

No reason given why this particular family was chosen to meet the prophet when surely many LDS children suffer with terminal cancer in the world. How did they get the privilege of meeting RMN?

All we get is that they will continue to pray for them.

Just seems so odd to me these days that they would willingly parade a dying child to illustrate that there is no priesthood control over her fate.

Corsair

Re: Christmas devotional

Post by Corsair » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:29 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:24 pm
Just seems so odd to me these days that they would willingly parade a dying child to illustrate that there is no priesthood control over her fate.
The Death March continues!

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 pm

Corsair wrote:
Contrast this with the old stories of Matthew Cowley raising polynesians from the dead and healing blindness. Such a shift.

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/matthew-cowley_miracles/

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:22 pm

It seems like the message is that basking in the presence of a general authority is the greatest gift at all and you can die happy if you are lucky enough to receive that ultimate blessing. But very few get even that, and if they do it seems to be for the purpose of talking about it front of everyone else.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:45 am

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 pm
Corsair wrote:
Contrast this with the old stories of Matthew Cowley raising polynesians from the dead and healing blindness. Such a shift.

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/matthew-cowley_miracles/
Like.

The difference is incredible.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK