Book- Ready Player One

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Lithium Sunset

Book- Ready Player One

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:45 pm

I am jumping between reading and listening to the book Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I saw the movie and liked it well enough but heard the book was so much better. I got the book for my son for Christmas after hearing two teachers say it was one of their favorites. I decided to dive in myself and am getting a real kick out of all the 80s references. I am about halfway through and don't want to put it down. (It’s easy to feel that our world is getting as bleak as the one in the book)

Anyway, the reason that I am posting this is that I think Chapter 19 would be a refeshing attitude for many of you haha. When listening to it I immediately though of NOM as the topic pops up a lot. Okay, I guess I should sober up and realize that for many on here it can be a quite serious subject. The book does talk about it in a light hearted, funny way. The woman part left me between surprised, scandalized (not really) and laughing.. may I never hear the expression “little man in a canoe” again...haha... I want to believe my son is a little young for this book (14 y/o) but who am I kidding... it’s probably good timing.

It’s part 7 of 13 in the audio book or Chaper 19, like I said, but I’m not saying anything else haha. I can’t believe I am even bringing up this subject.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Linked

Re: Book- Ready Player One

Post by Linked » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 pm

I enjoyed both the book and the movie. I thought the book was a fun read, with lots of fun references like you mentioned. It was funny to see which IP made it from the book to the movie, what was scrapped completely and what was modified.

I looked up a summary of chapter 19 because it's been a couple years since I read the book, and I couldn't remember the specifics at all! But based on the summary, if your 14 year old is anything like 14 year old me, he would get a kick out of it.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 am

Almost done and I can see myself reading it again in the future. I definitely endorse the book. I can see why they picked Spielberg for the movie but I don't think he did the book justice exactly. Thanks for the reply. I knew it was very random thread haha... I regret nothing!

Cheers
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:49 pm

I have read this book twice. Its a great read, once before the shelf finally broke and once after. Much better after. I have found that to be true of a couple of book I have re-read since the complete awakening. I re-read Daemon and FreedomTM by Daniel Suarez, I liked them before and they were even better after the breaking of shelf.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:08 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:49 pm
I have read this book twice. Its a great read, once before the shelf finally broke and once after. Much better after. I have found that to be true of a couple of book I have re-read since the complete awakening. I re-read Daemon and FreedomTM by Daniel Suarez, I liked them before and they were even better after the breaking of shelf.
I am definitely glad I read it after.... when I was reading it I did keep thinking about how this and that would have offended me a few years ago...that’s where I just have to be kind to myself and try not to feel bad about how I use to think. I saved the audio book of Daemon from my library (but I better read it after the Silmarillion... I need to get that off my bucket list).

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Lithium Sunset wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:08 pm
I saved the audio book of Daemon from my library (but I better read it after the Silmarillion... I need to get that off my bucket list).
Daemon and FreedomTM really got me thinking about society and culture. Daemon starts very slow, but the action gets really good later on. If you read Daemon, you have to finish it with FreedomTM or you will be missing out, I liked the sequel better than the first book.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:04 pm

I said gotcha but probably should change it to Got It or Noted!

Thanks!