Film Review: Captain Marvel

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mad Jax

Film Review: Captain Marvel

Post by Mad Jax » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Although nothing in this film will set the world on fire, it's not as bad as I anticipated. Low expectations can do wonders, I guess, but there were some surprises that made the film reasonably enjoyable. Ben Mendehlson gives a performance I wasn't expecting, and some of the visuals are noteworthy (some space scenes near orbit make for some memorable shots), but there isn't much to say about the rest of it. It has a tightly written plot that for some reason reviewers are calling "lazy" (and I suppose that might be due to standard character arcs) but it's coherent and serviceable for what they're trying to do. I guess when a film lands perfectly on "average" it's hard to know what to say about it.

You wouldn't be wasting your money on this one, but at the same time, you aren't missing anything if you don't catch it in theaters. "Matinee if you have time to kill" would be the most I'd recommend on this one.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

dogbite

Re: Film Review: Captain Marvel

Post by dogbite » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 am

it lacked tension to carry you from scene to scene. Nor was there any particular emotional core to the story. The supporting cast was quite good.

It fits neatly into the MCU as a whole and tidies up a few things. The end credit scenes were good and bode well for Endgame imho.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Yea I didn't want to elaborate too much but the protagonist really doesn't have an arc. There's no flaw she overcomes nor does she suffer any real pathos. Either one of those would have made her more interesting. On top of that, I'm not convinced Brie Larson is all that good of an actor, academy award or not. Also consider that Ryan Fleck is a terrible director. Watch Half Nelson if you want an example of his unskilled film direction.

redjay

Post by redjay » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:32 pm

need to get round to seeing this. The last female superhero I saw in the silver screen was Wonderwoman - I was blown away at how fun that movie was. Though I would have liked to have heard the original wonder woman score in the closing soundtrack.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:29 pm

Honestly, if a female superhero film is what you're aiming for, you probably would appreciate Alita: Battle Angel a lot more. It's got a bit of an odd story structure, but it has an interesting world and I think Roza Salazar gives a better performance than Brie Larson does in CM. Also Christoph Waltz is always good.

redjay

Post by redjay » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:08 am

Have added Alita to my watch list for when it gets released on DVD/Streaming.

I made it to Captain Marvel at the weekend. Good fun stuff, though not quite as good as Wonder Woman IMO.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 pm

I saw it and thought it was alright. Captain Marvel is a character that is just not a good fit in the MCU. The comic book character has been killed off and rebooted a number of times. This one is not much better. I saw it simply to get ready for Endgame.
Illegitimi non carborundum.