Visiting New Orleans

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Kishkumen

Visiting New Orleans

Post by Kishkumen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:17 am

I just arrived in New Orleans for a work conference. We're staying right by the French quarter.

Bourbon Street is absolutely crazy

moksha

Re: Visiting New Orleans

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:14 am

The bad thing is you just missed Mardi Gras. The good thing is you don't have to run around pulling up your shirt for beads. :D

Have fun.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am

As a TBM I attended a work conference there about 15 years ago during Mardi Gras. It was disturbing to see what drunk people do out in public! The flashing of breasts didn't bother me but when I saw a girl giving oral sex to a guy out in the street... I think that would be disturbing even as a NOM or NoMo. I just don't think things like that should be done out in a public place. Maybe I'm still a bit of a prude.

As a TBM I thought to myself that if the Armageddon does happen, New Orleans might be one of the first places to sink into the ocean. Now I hold nothing against it but I have no desire to ever go back there again.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

redjay

Post by redjay » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Have been to Louisiana a couple of times. Have always been too anxious to go to New Oreleans as a single traveler.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm

I made quite a few visits to N'awlins for work conferences in the past.

I was still mormon-ing to the best of my ability during those visits.

Never there during Mardi Gra.

The food was wonderful.

The tourist-y sights throughout the city are fun.

Bourbon Street was interesting while mormon-ing to the best of my ability. Had to experience it, didn't spend much time there.

While mormon-ing to the best of my ability, I "coudn't" enjoy adult beverages, or any of the other adult-type things N.O. is famous for.

I'd love to go back as an apostate. Especially on someone else's (company?) dime...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:45 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am
As a TBM I attended a work conference there about 15 years ago during Mardi Gras. It was disturbing to see what drunk people do out in public! The flashing of breasts didn't bother me but when I saw a girl giving oral sex to a guy out in the street... I think that would be disturbing even as a NOM or NoMo. I just don't think things like that should be done out in a public place. Maybe I'm still a bit of a prude.

As a TBM I thought to myself that if the Armageddon does happen, New Orleans might be one of the first places to sink into the ocean. Now I hold nothing against it but I have no desire to ever go back there again.
I went to college in the south and occasionally would go to NO for singles conferences. I felt the same way as a prudish Mormon- the city was wicked and would definitely be the first to go especially because of all of the voodoo and dark magic/occult following.

But the parades are loads of fun as an ex-mo!

Laissez les bon temps rouler Kishkumen!

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:11 am

NO would go before somewhere like Las Vegas? That said, I haven't been there but LV is a pretty high bar to jump.

What's funny is there's many times as a TBM that I entertained the idea that SLC would be the first place to go! :D

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 pm

I've been to Mardi Gras twice. I didn't see anything too shocking. Lots of people in the streets partying but a strong police presence. Some limited nudity. Meh.

The voodoo shops and ghost tours were much more fun. Food is to die for.