I wish I hadn't volunteered

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
MerrieMiss

I wish I hadn't volunteered

Post by MerrieMiss » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:58 pm

Can I just vent about something?

My son’s 4H group is doing a service project for a cause that’s very important to me so I volunteered to be in charge of it. I’m really regretting it. The project needs a lot of scaffolding to be an effective project for kids, which isn’t a problem but will take more time than I’ve been given - less than a week.

On top of that, the other in-charge adult isn’t very organized or clued-in and doesn’t seem to understand issues of quality. I mean, it doesn’t do any good to have the kids do a crappy job on something for validation so we can tell the kids how special they are. It’s like donating all of your garbage to a charity so you feel good about donating and they throw it away for you.

Anyway, I’m just kind of ticked off about it and I don’t know how to handle it. I don’t work well with others, I know this about myself. I’m a very good organizer and manager, but only when I work alone (no co-manager like I have now who keeps undermining what I’m doing). My husband sympathizes and totally agrees with me about quality control issues, but he also points out I don’t play well with others. It’s true. I guess this is why I’m a bit of a loner and just prefer to do things myself.

I’m guessing we’ll just do the project and I’ll have to get rid of half of it with no one knowing. I ought to relax about it, just do the best I can, and forget about what everyone else does. I just wish I hadn’t volunteered.

crossmyheart

Re: I wish I hadn't volunteered

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:55 pm

I get it. by nature I am not an altruistic person. I want things done right or not at all. Can you scale back?
If not, may your coke/coffee/wine/xanex/other drug of choice be plentiful.

RubinHighlander

Re: I wish I hadn't volunteered

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:11 pm

crossmyheart wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:55 pm
I get it. by nature I am not an altruistic person. I want things done right or not at all. Can you scale back?
If not, may your coke/coffee/wine/xanex/other drug of choice be plentiful.
This! I have a fresh batch of jazz cabbage brownies that will help you tap into the "Zero F*cks" part of your brain and reduce the stress factor significantly.

Good luck!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE