The Silence (Netflix)

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Mad Jax

The Silence (Netflix)

Post by Mad Jax » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Apocalyptic film similar to The Mist in many ways, but with a premise that makes for a solid thriller. It's more about surviving the threat than it is about exploring human nature under crisis, but it does have sufficient quantities of the latter to satisfy me.

The basic premise is the discovery and release of a subterranean apex swarm predator that hunts primarily by sound but without sight. The protagonists are a family that had to learn to sign after their teenage daughter lost her hearing. Her hearing loss turns out to be a hidden blessing because their ability to communicate sans verbal language provides a survival advantage, but the generally acute hearing of the predator species (called "vesps") makes their every move a tense and unnerving moment. A good solid thriller with a pretty satisfying, if somewhat standard ending. Cast is solid, Stanley Tucci and Miranda Otto are familiar names and the main character is an actor named Kiernan Shipka, whom I would describe as "if Emma Watson was a better actress." Highly recommend it if you dig a good "family survival horror" flick.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Corsair

Re: The Silence (Netflix)

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. That sounds surprisingly like "A Quiet Place" with Emily Blunt and John Krasinski which is an apocalyptic thriller with a family trying to survive against blind, but super hearing aliens. They also have a deaf daughter. I did enjoy the film, but the engineer in me kept thinking of a dozen ways to destroy the sightless, but hearing enhanced enemies. Alarm clock suspended over a pit of spikes was my first idea.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:03 am

You'll appreciate this movie for that kind of thing then.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Tue May 07, 2019 7:49 am

Finally got a chance to watch it- thanks for the recommend. Really enjoyed it. They really wrapped up a quick summary at the end- could have played that out for a sequal.

The car crash scene with the uncle and dog was a great climactic arc. Made my daughter cry.

Have to say- this post-apocalyptic craze- of walking dead, bird box, quiet place kind of genre is seriously making me lose sleep to some insane nightmares, but I cant stop watching them!