Sabrina the teenage witch-Netflix

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
crossmyheart

Sabrina the teenage witch-Netflix

Post by crossmyheart » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 am

I have been watching this series with my teen daughter. Some adult situations.

We get a real kick out of the way they turn the tables on christian worship to normalize satan worship as exactly the same but opposite. For example, instead of saying " why in hell would this happen" they say "why in heaven...". It is fun to listen for the language plays. Also, one of the main characters turns out to be Lilith- Adam's first wife. You kinda need to know your apocrypha for that whole story line to make sense.

Season 2 has an episode with missionaries. They wear white shirts/ties and have the shiny black name tags but don't specifically give a religion. In the episode they turn out to be angels whose job is to save souls- particularly those of the witches and warlocks. So it turns into a battle of good vs evil. Only you are rooting for Sabrina and her friends as the "good" side of the story. We watched this episode without my TBM-ish DH so as not to offend him, but once we watched it, I think he would have been fine with it had he been home.

If you have any teen girls- I would recommend watching it with them. It has led to some great discussions. Especially about- good vs evil and how adults/leaders can manipulate the truth.

MoPag

Re: Sabrina the teenage witch-Netflix

Post by MoPag » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 am

Oh I love this series!

It's NOT like the 90s series Sabrina the teenage witch. It's very dark! (Some of me uber Christian friends actually canceled their Netflix because of this show) But it is also very fascinating.

It shows a fundamentalist patriarchal religion and how Sabrina has to navigate her life as a member of that religion, but still maintain ties to the world outside.

There are sooo many parallels to Mormonism! I need to re-watch it again.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound