What are you drinking right now?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Apologeticsislying

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Apologeticsislying » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:54 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 pm
Past memories: Chocolate marshmallow peanut butter shake with added macadamia and walnuts at the Iceberg Drive Inn.

A loaf of bread
A chocolate marshmallow peanut butter shake with added macadamia and walnuts
And thou beside me in the wilderness
Ah, paradise enough!
YUM!!!! But if I am with thee in the wilderness, we still must practice social distancing. :lol:
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:23 am

Dalgona Coffee
2 tsp Instant Coffee
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp warm Water

Whip or whisk till foamy. Scoop into a cup of milk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wspx839B5x0

This is being suggested on the internet as a relief for stay-at-home boredom.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sun May 24, 2020 2:50 pm

I had two bottles of Angry Orchard Hard Cider last night with two unopened bottles still in the fridge; a gift from a friend. It was good enough, I guess. I want to try hard lemonade now. I think I still like mixed drinks best (yay vodka!) but I have called it- I hate wine. I just can’t do it... I feel sorry for those who have to watch the face I pull with every sip. I dread it drinking it, every type.

Drinking is still a strange thing for me. I seem to have a two drink limit. I don’t think like how I feel after that. I just want enough to make me relax and laugh more. I think I would try more types if I could buy it in the grocery stores... I have yet to go into a liquor store and to do it now seems weirder than ever. I’m a baby too about being experimental with delivery. Oh well, haha, there is no rush I guess.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon May 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Coffee with caramel creamer this afternoon. Unbearably drowsy so went for it. I usually don't take caffeine after 2pm.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon May 25, 2020 8:31 pm

I just hit some Hell's OG. This strain is fantastic. Chasing it with some peach ice tea.

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:05 pm

Finally gave in and tried the Dalgona whipped coffee that's all over the internet. I had some espresso powder, added in a bit of cocoa and ended up adding it to ice cream instead of milk and ice. I'm not sure you could properly call it a drink by the time I got done with it, but hoo boy. It was amazing.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

alas

Post by alas » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:16 pm

I haven’t replied here in forever, so this is kind of an update. I have been drinking coffee now for a few years, for medicinal purposes. It gets enough caffeine into my system to calm the ADD, with out drinking so much liquid that I am water logged. I still hate it. Still drink it way weak with creamer (no sugar as I am diabetic). My brother is visiting and he drinks cheap instant very very strong. The smell turns my stomach. Whoever said coffee is an acquired taste lied. I started out hating it and have not gotten any closer to liking the crap. But if I don’t have it, my husband is after me as soon as I start acting all ADD. He can tell real quick if I have not had my cup worth of coffee, plus diet soda all day. And I can have coffee right before bed and it doesn’t stop me from sleeping. People think I am weird because coffee calms me down. Of course, two cups and I get More talkative, or less introverted. I use medium roast, 100% Kona coffee, expensive as all get out, but less nasty than anything else. You have to buy it mail order or at a US commissary for military.

I think people are either born liking coffee or not. I am a not. My mother loved the taste and liked coffee ice cream. Same with my daughter. They loved the smell of coffee long before they started drinking it. Me, I gag from the smell going down the coffee isle in the store. I just cannot acquire the taste for the nasty despicable stuff. I am seriously considering asking the doc for meds. Oh, and straight caffeine pills make me sick to my stomach, so No-Doz isn’t an option.

Still hate the taste of wine, and hate the burn of hard stuff, and mixed drinks are full of sugar. So, I still obey the WOW as far as alcohol goes. Good thing that alcohol is just plain bad for diabetics because I have not found anything that I like that isn’t a day and a half worth of sugar. So, I don’t know if I like the way I feel on alcohol because I have never had enough even to help relax.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:37 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:16 pm
... Still drink it way weak with creamer (no sugar as I am diabetic)...
... He can tell real quick if I have not had my cup worth of coffee, plus diet soda all day...
If you can drink diet soda, why not try low-cal sweetener in your coffee?

alas wrote:
...I think people are either born liking coffee or not. I am a not. My mother loved the taste and liked coffee ice cream. Same with my daughter. They loved the smell of coffee long before they started drinking it. Me, I gag from the smell going down the coffee isle in the store. I just cannot acquire the taste for the nasty despicable stuff...
My first (completely fallible) memory of anything coffee related was a cub-scout trip, where the heathen father in the car I was riding in had a thermos of coffee. Every time he cracked it open and the smell hit me, I remember gagging a bit. I'm pretty sure that part of the gag reflex had to do with being brainwashed into believing that coffee was evil, but still remember hating the smell as a young-un.

Fast forward a few years to my 2-year "voluntary" sales-servitude for the Corporation™, and what-do-you-know? All the other volun-told missionaries love the coffee ice-cream at a specific restaurant, so I learned to love coffee ice-cream on my mission. Everyone told me that coffee ice cream is nothing like "real" coffee, but even so, after that I became "one of those MORmONs" who loved the smell of the coffee aisle.

My first experience with the magic bean juice was like most heathens: I tried it black, burnt the holy krap out of my tongue, and gagged. But finding out coffee "might" protect from Alzheimer's, when one of your parents is dying with Alzheimer's, well... I was gonna learn to like the stuff. :P I weaned myself in the beginning with a bit of sugar-free hot-cocoa mix. I haven't become one of those "black or nothing" folks, but I can truly say that no matter how sh!tty life is, I look forward to a cuppa magic-bean-infusion-juice every morning...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

alas

Post by alas » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:25 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:37 pm
alas wrote:
... Still drink it way weak with creamer (no sugar as I am diabetic)...
... He can tell real quick if I have not had my cup worth of coffee, plus diet soda all day...
If you can drink diet soda, why not try low-cal sweetener in your coffee?

alas wrote:
...I think people are either born liking coffee or not. I am a not. My mother loved the taste and liked coffee ice cream. Same with my daughter. They loved the smell of coffee long before they started drinking it. Me, I gag from the smell going down the coffee isle in the store. I just cannot acquire the taste for the nasty despicable stuff...
My first (completely fallible) memory of anything coffee related was a cub-scout trip, where the heathen father in the car I was riding in had a thermos of coffee. Every time he cracked it open and the smell hit me, I remember gagging a bit. I'm pretty sure that part of the gag reflex had to do with being brainwashed into believing that coffee was evil, but still remember hating the smell as a young-un.

Fast forward a few years to my 2-year "voluntary" sales-servitude for the Corporation™, and what-do-you-know? All the other volun-told missionaries love the coffee ice-cream at a specific restaurant, so I learned to love coffee ice-cream on my mission. Everyone told me that coffee ice cream is nothing like "real" coffee, but even so, after that I became "one of those MORmONs" who loved the smell of the coffee aisle.

My first experience with the magic bean juice was like most heathens: I tried it black, burnt the holy krap out of my tongue, and gagged. But finding out coffee "might" protect from Alzheimer's, when one of your parents is dying with Alzheimer's, well... I was gonna learn to like the stuff. :P I weaned myself in the beginning with a bit of sugar-free hot-cocoa mix. I haven't become one of those "black or nothing" folks, but I can truly say that no matter how sh!tty life is, I look forward to a cuppa magic-bean-infusion-juice every morning...
I have tried the artificial sweetener. It doesn’t really make much difference. But one of the reasons for switching to coffee, was that I hoped to get so I liked it and go to black. Artificial sweetener has its own bad health effects.

Everyone I have talked to that went from gagging on the smell to liking it started out with sugar, like you did with the ice cream, that wonderful high of sugar and caffeine. Sugared coffee is making Starbucks rich. The sugar at first enhances the high, so you get addicted to it faster and start liking it. But I don’t get any kind of high from coffee until like three cups. The first one just fixes the ADD, the second seems to help my brain catch up with the world, maybe really part of the ADD. And I don’t really like how I feel on three cups worth of caffeine. That happened once with a migraine pill. although I really like a sugar high. Maybe I should adjust carb intake somewhere else and sugar my coffee for a year. See if that could get me addicted. Oh, and I can go totally caffeine free with No headache and not missing it, so I am not really addicted. Now my husband who only drinks diet soda, he gets a headache if he even cuts back. But caffeine does not affect me the same way it does most people. I can drink it and go right to sleep, in fact I suspect I sleep better, because my brain doesn’t bounce around like a ping pong ball on meth.

And when I say I make it weak, I either pour one cup worth over a full 32 ounce glass of ice, or I use two cups of water to one measure of coffee, so it is half strength, then add half a cup worth of half and half. My daughter laughed at me when she saw how I made it. With, “I should have expected that from someone who uses one tea bag in a 32 ounce glass of water. Why don’t you just stick to diet soda? You get a stronger dose of caffeine.” Because I wanted to get away from artificial sweetener and carbonation.

Maybe I need to start buying coffee ice cream. As it is, we buy ice cream and my diabetic husband eats 90% of it and his doctor gives him a frownny face. But that is a flavor he would avoid. But then so would I.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:55 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:25 am
I have tried the artificial sweetener. It doesn’t really make much difference. But one of the reasons for switching to coffee, was that I hoped to get so I liked it and go to black. Artificial sweetener has its own bad health effects.
Meh. A few packets of Splenda™ aren't going to cause any ill health effects. :P

Besides, if you make your bean-infusion drink more palatable with some sweetener, and ditch the diet soda you'll definitely be better off. :roll:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:21 pm

alas wrote:
I haven’t replied here in forever, so this is kind of an update. I have been drinking coffee now for a few years, for medicinal purposes. It gets enough caffeine into my system to calm the ADD, with out drinking so much liquid that I am water logged. I still hate it. Still drink it way weak with creamer (no sugar as I am diabetic). My brother is visiting and he drinks cheap instant very very strong. The smell turns my stomach. Whoever said coffee is an acquired taste lied. I started out hating it and have not gotten any closer to liking the crap. But if I don’t have it, my husband is after me as soon as I start acting all ADD. He can tell real quick if I have not had my cup worth of coffee, plus diet soda all day. And I can have coffee right before bed and it doesn’t stop me from sleeping. People think I am weird because coffee calms me down. Of course, two cups and I get More talkative, or less introverted. I use medium roast, 100% Kona coffee, expensive as all get out, but less nasty than anything else. You have to buy it mail order or at a US commissary for military.

I think people are either born liking coffee or not. I am a not. My mother loved the taste and liked coffee ice cream. Same with my daughter. They loved the smell of coffee long before they started drinking it. Me, I gag from the smell going down the coffee isle in the store. I just cannot acquire the taste for the nasty despicable stuff. I am seriously considering asking the doc for meds. Oh, and straight caffeine pills make me sick to my stomach, so No-Doz isn’t an option.

Still hate the taste of wine, and hate the burn of hard stuff, and mixed drinks are full of sugar. So, I still obey the WOW as far as alcohol goes. Good thing that alcohol is just plain bad for diabetics because I have not found anything that I like that isn’t a day and a half worth of sugar. So, I don’t know if I like the way I feel on alcohol because I have never had enough even to help relax.
After a few years of drinking coffee (not every day), I still hate the taste, too, so I understand where you're coming from. It doesn't put me to sleep any longer, but it still never wires me up. Still has a calming effect, too.

I fill a 16-24 oz cup with two coffee cups of coffee (12 oz) and fill it up the rest of the way with nondairy cream or milk, then I add 4-6 drops of liquid stevia (It's pretty dang sweet with 6 drops, though. Four is usually plenty for me). I get my stevia from Natural Grocers or online "health food store" type of places. It only has stevia in it and has no nasty other-taste, whereas the stevia from grocery stores has other things added. NOW brand is good and has a dropper insert. Dropper lids are messy and you might accidentally get too much stevia. Sometimes I even add a spoonful of chocolate protein powder to diminish the coffee flavor further.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:39 am

My dad's birthday is coming up next week. He died several years ago, before I left the church (I joined the church when I was 21). He loved Fat Tire beer and I decided this year I'm going to try it in remembrance of him . . . and with regret that I never drank it with him.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Red wine. Petit sirah by bogle.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:25 am

alas wrote:
I think people are either born liking coffee or not. I am a not. My mother loved the taste and liked coffee ice cream. Same with my daughter. They loved the smell of coffee long before they started drinking it. Me, I gag from the smell going down the coffee isle in the store. I just cannot acquire the taste for the nasty despicable stuff. I am seriously considering asking the doc for meds.
I began to seriously consider that I had ADHD when I had the soda equivalent of two cups of coffee at a work lunch, then returned to the office and fell asleep on the lobby couch.

Adderall's side effects are generally milder than caffeine's, it lasts slightly longer, and it tends to do better at improving emotional regulation. Both drugs affect anxiety level, too, but can either increase or decrease it. Which one happens depends on... a lot of stuff, including psychological factors like how you react to a raised heart rate, but most factors are unknown.

For me, Adderall works much better. For my brother, caffeine does. It wouldn't hurt to explore your options.

I really like the taste and smell of coffee. I haven't had a cup since lockdown, but I had the coffee truffles from a chocolate box last night and realized I miss it greatly.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

alas

Post by alas » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:05 am

Reuben wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:25 am
alas wrote:
I think people are either born liking coffee or not. I am a not. My mother loved the taste and liked coffee ice cream. Same with my daughter. They loved the smell of coffee long before they started drinking it. Me, I gag from the smell going down the coffee isle in the store. I just cannot acquire the taste for the nasty despicable stuff. I am seriously considering asking the doc for meds.
I began to seriously consider that I had ADHD when I had the soda equivalent of two cups of coffee at a work lunch, then returned to the office and fell asleep on the lobby couch.

Adderall's side effects are generally milder than caffeine's, it lasts slightly longer, and it tends to do better at improving emotional regulation. Both drugs affect anxiety level, too, but can either increase or decrease it. Which one happens depends on... a lot of stuff, including psychological factors like how you react to a raised heart rate, but most factors are unknown.

For me, Adderall works much better. For my brother, caffeine does. It wouldn't hurt to explore your options.

I really like the taste and smell of coffee. I haven't had a cup since lockdown, but I had the coffee truffles from a chocolate box last night and realized I miss it greatly.
My daughter is on Adderall and that was why I decided I didn’t want to go that route. I don’t get side effects from coffee, but my daughter gets much more anxiety on the Adderall. But she says she hates coffee which is why she went with doctor prescribed meds she has to pay for because her insurance doesn’t cover more than about half. I stay out of my kids business, otherwise I would tell her that the Adderall makes her a nervous wreck, or maybe it is marriage to someone with full blown anxiety disorder. But she didn’t used to be so anxious about stuff. And this daughter and I tend to be identical twins with the exact same allergies, Drug intolerances, skin sensitivity, ADD, ASD, etc.

I have started drinking iced coffee, still weak and it has to be really cold, but I am tolerating it that way. No additives except lots of ice. I am thinking maybe I can work toward stronger coffee over the ice eventually.

Meanwhile my brother is visiting for a week, and twice now I have gagged on the smell of his Folger’s instant and had to leave the kitchen. That isn’t helping me adjust to the idea that coffee is edible.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:24 pm

alas wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:05 am
Reuben wrote:
alas wrote:

My daughter is on Adderall and that was why I decided I didn’t want to go that route. I don’t get side effects from coffee, but my daughter gets much more anxiety on the Adderall. But she says she hates coffee which is why she went with doctor prescribed meds she has to pay for because her insurance doesn’t cover more than about half. I stay out of my kids business, otherwise I would tell her that the Adderall makes her a nervous wreck, or maybe it is marriage to someone with full blown anxiety disorder. But she didn’t used to be so anxious about stuff. And this daughter and I tend to be identical twins with the exact same allergies, Drug intolerances, skin sensitivity, ADD, ASD, etc.

I have started drinking iced coffee, still weak and it has to be really cold, but I am tolerating it that way. No additives except lots of ice. I am thinking maybe I can work toward stronger coffee over the ice eventually.

Meanwhile my brother is visiting for a week, and twice now I have gagged on the smell of his Folger’s instant and had to leave the kitchen. That isn’t helping me adjust to the idea that coffee is edible.
My dear believing wife gets her caffeine fix from pills because she doesn't like the taste of Diet Coke. Is that an option for you?

I've made Mormon-friendly tea before by dropping one of them into some chamomile. It's pharmacologically nearly equivalent (antioxidants, caffeine) but is lower in evil.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:30 pm

alas wrote:
Are you actually cold-brewing this iced coffee, or using the hot-brewing technique and pouring that over ice?

I'm told that cold brewed coffee is less bitter than "regular" brewed coffee. Maybe cold-brew would make it more palatable for you.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:33 pm

I just got a new coffee maker with a milk frother.

1/4 cup milk frothy with a couple dashes cinnamon
1 cup coffee (2 tbs medium grind freshly brewed medium roast)

For some reason, frothed milk makes the whole drink taste sweeter.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:17 am

What’s with all the wine haters?

Even Jesus drank wine!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Reuben wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:24 pm
alas wrote:
Reuben wrote:

My dear believing wife gets her caffeine fix from pills because she doesn't like the taste of Diet Coke. Is that an option for you?

I've made Mormon-friendly tea before by dropping one of them into some chamomile. It's pharmacologically nearly equivalent (antioxidants, caffeine) but is lower in evil.
I tried the pills years ago and since I got diabetic nerve damage to my stomach, the pills add to the constant problems with a stomach that does not empty. I also can’t take aspirin or any of the other pain pills that irritate. So, pills are not a good option. Another reason to stay off Adderall, as it has the same issue.

Yes, I have tried cold brew. With the Kona coffee, it already solves the bitterness problem, so cold brew just becomes a supper slow way to make coffee. I have a cool little picture with an infusion basket that goes into it. It is great for cold brew when I remember to put it on the night before. And if not spending the money for Kona coffee was the issue, then yes big improvement. But with Kona there really is no bitterness, so you get just the taste of coffee, which is just nasty.

So, medium roast to get away from burned chili beans taste, Kona to get away from bitterness. And then half strength over lots of ice makes it tolerable. Or half strength with milk or half and half. I have gotten so I don’t need it sweetened at all, just to taste less like coffee.

When I am at home it is no problem. But when we travel and I have to live off restaurant food or what I can brew in a hotel room, then it gets complicated.