What are you drinking right now?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Thoughtful

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Thoughtful » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:29 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:17 am
What’s with all the wine haters?

Even Jesus drank wine!
Preach! I believe the LDS palate has been conditioned to prefer sweet and savory but ignores bitter notes. Wine has a similar bitter to lemon zest without the lemon flavor. The more I drink coffee the less I crave sugar (and the farther a bite of sweet goes for me, if I do have it), and the more I enjoy wine.

There's also some research on acquiring tastes through repetition. I think there's a point where if someone has tried something a couple dozen times and still hates it, chances are they may never like it. But if they have only tried it a handful of times, they might need a few more tries to find they like it.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

Even Jesus drank wine!
My alcohol journey has taken me into wine this year and I really see the potential for just settling down with wine. I'm finding I can quite enjoy a nice dry red. I'm one of those folks on r/wine now posting a picture and sharing tasting notes. As a bonus I can get wine shipped to me in Indiana.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:55 pm

"Los Locos" Margarita.

If you like mild barley drinks, and you like margaritas, you need to try this one. If someone wants an actual "recipe" for the beverage, let me know.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:17 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:55 pm
"Los Locos" Margarita.

If you like mild barley drinks, and you like margaritas, you need to try this one. If someone wants an actual "recipe" for the beverage, let me know.
I would like the recipe/instructions, please.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:51 pm

Random wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:17 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:55 pm
"Los Locos" Margarita.

I would like the recipe/instructions, please.
To make a "real" Los Locos margarita, you need to get hold of Los Locos Mexican Style Lager, from Epic brewing company - they have breweries in Utah and Colorado, but distribute pretty much everywhere. In UT, it's available at the State Liquor "outlets." It's a Mexican style lager, but it already has lime and salt added.

If you can't get Los Locos, a lime pilsner will work also. I suppose you could use any old Mexican lager and add lime or other fruit to taste.

The "recipe" goes like this: 1.5 oz Tequila, .5 oz Cointreau/Triple Sec, .5 oz lime juice. Add a bit of agave nectar if you like things sweeter (.25 oz is plenty for me when I'm in the mood for sweet, it doesn't take a lot.) Shake the previous contents with ice, pour into your margarita glass, "top" that mixture with the Los Locos, add a splash of orange juice and enjoy. (You'll end up with extra Los Locos - enjoy it separately, or double the recipe for two margaritas to share with a friend.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:52 pm

Red Ryder wrote:

Even Jesus drank wine!
Didn't he go in for that non-alcoholic Martinelli stuff? TBMs can no longer drink that stuff because of the shape of the bottle in order to avoid the appearance of impropriety. I think that is also why Jesus insisted on non-transparency for his financial dealings. That may all sound confusing, but get one of those German pretzels and study its design. The pretzel holds the grand key.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:35 pm

I went camping with RubinHighlander last month and I have been enjoying the delicious variety of beverages he left in my cooler. I didn't even know hard seltzer was a thing. It is, and a very good thing at that.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:39 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:51 pm
To make a "real" Los Locos margarita, you need to get hold of Los Locos Mexican Style Lager, from Epic brewing company - they have breweries in Utah and Colorado, but distribute pretty much everywhere. In UT, it's available at the State Liquor "outlets." It's a Mexican style lager, but it already has lime and salt added.

If you can't get Los Locos, a lime pilsner will work also. I suppose you could use any old Mexican lager and add lime or other fruit to taste.

The "recipe" goes like this: 1.5 oz Tequila, .5 oz Cointreau/Triple Sec, .5 oz lime juice. Add a bit of agave nectar if you like things sweeter (.25 oz is plenty for me when I'm in the mood for sweet, it doesn't take a lot.) Shake the previous contents with ice, pour into your margarita glass, "top" that mixture with the Los Locos, add a splash of orange juice and enjoy. (You'll end up with extra Los Locos - enjoy it separately, or double the recipe for two margaritas to share with a friend.)
Thanks. I'm printing that out.

We have a state liquor store fairly close, so maybe I'll be able to get the crazies (I mean the Los Locos) there.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

alas

Post by alas » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:03 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:29 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

Even Jesus drank wine!
Preach! I believe the LDS palate has been conditioned to prefer sweet and savory but ignores bitter notes. Wine has a similar bitter to lemon zest without the lemon flavor. The more I drink coffee the less I crave sugar (and the farther a bite of sweet goes for me, if I do have it), and the more I enjoy wine.

There's also some research on acquiring tastes through repetition. I think there's a point where if someone has tried something a couple dozen times and still hates it, chances are they may never like it. But if they have only tried it a handful of times, they might need a few more tries to find they like it.
OK, I am probably one of the wine haters, but it is the alcohol burn that I find unpleasant. It isn’t the lack of sweet. I don’t like any thing with that alcohol burn, including frosting ...but that has a story. My TBM DIL made homemade vanilla, with vanilla beans and whatever booze she used. Then made frosting out of it. It didn’t have any flavor but vanilla, but even the frosting had the burn of alcohol. I gagged and tried to politely ask what the h was in the frosting. I also made rum raisin fudge following the recipe using real rum. Every year before I have used rum extract, water, and molasses to soak the raisins. Anyway, I was the only one of my extended family to 30 (1/2 TBM) who objected to raisins that taste of alcohol burn. I am just SO not tempted to drink alcohol.

Now cooking with wine That cooks the alcohol out and that is yummy. I have been experimenting while we are living in Idaho and I can buy wine at the grocery store....OK, I still don’t want to be seen at the state liquor store. But so far it has been great. Best thing to put on your pasta is a rendered wine sauce. Pick a white that is not sweet, so not a dinner wine, you want a nice dry wine. Very good with shrimp or chicken. Next, I am trying a dry red with sausage. While we were in Italy we had a rendered white sauce with muscles still in their shell. Our children were nauseated at the sight. We really didn’t know what kind of sauce it was, but 30 years later, I figured it out at a restaurant in Hurricane Utah that serves a rendered white wine sauce.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:49 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:03 am
a restaurant in Hurricane Utah that serves a rendered white wine sauce.
What restaurant is that? I might see if I can go there some time.

PK

alas

Post by alas » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:12 am

Random wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:49 pm
alas wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:03 am
a restaurant in Hurricane Utah that serves a rendered white wine sauce.
What restaurant is that? I might see if I can go there some time.
Little place on Main Street called Main Street Cafe. I really hope they survive Covid and can stay in business. They were doing curbside take out only when we were still there. We are snowbirds and that is our southern migratory habitat.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:19 am

Currently drinking a lovely cup of coffee.

So wine reduction...this is how I got into really drinking wine, by dinking around cooking with it. Cooking wine is too salted, so I would just play with adding wine to sauces, learned to make wine reductions, and generally started sipping wine here and there. 1/4-1 cup of wine does great things for pasta sauces, soups, braised meats.

I notice the boozy more in certain wines or dessert wines (for a good port its well worth it). However as I've delved further I'm finding which ones have little or no alcohol "bite" and which ones pair with foods to bring out new nuances of flavor. Same idea as cooking with it, the marrying of flavors is very gestalt.

Now it's 10am and I want wine, so I will have to have another cuppa joe.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:51 am

If LDS people were to drink wine, I assume they would go for one of the more righteous grape varietals such as Riesling. Of course, their sweet tooth might also lead them to Hungarian tokay or perhaps a port or sherry. They would need to hold the line against having both a glass of wine with dinner and an after-dinner coffee, lest a hell portal open in the Wilkinson Center at BYU (unless Sister Alas has already triggered this event).
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:34 pm

alas wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:12 am
Little place on Main Street called Main Street Cafe. I really hope they survive Covid and can stay in business. They were doing curbside take out only when we were still there. We are snowbirds and that is our southern migratory habitat.
I'll have to see if I can check it out sometime. I'm here year-round, but am in Washington.

moksha wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:51 am
If LDS people were to drink wine, I assume they would go for one of the more righteous grape varietals such as Riesling. Of course, their sweet tooth might also lead them to Hungarian tokay or perhaps a port or sherry.
Mormons and used-to-be-Mormons I've hung out with for years seem to prefer sweet wines for sacrament, so you're on to something.

PK

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:47 pm

Look, I am totally not making this up. Mormons can drink Boba Milk Tea because of the wonderful wholesome milk and the round tapioca boba absorbs and eliminates any demonic caffeine. Hope that helps. :D
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:29 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:47 pm
Look, I am totally not making this up. Mormons can drink Boba Milk Tea because of the wonderful wholesome milk and the round tapioca boba absorbs and eliminates any demonic caffeine. Hope that helps. :D
:lol: :lol:

PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:36 pm

Any NOMmies like Gin?

How do you imbibe said Gin?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:12 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:36 pm
I think you need to be British and have a stiff upper lip. Not sure why the stiff upper lip, but it might help strain for olives.
-- Moksha

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am

wtfluff wrote:
Any NOMmies like Gin?

I like it in a Tom Collins. Like a sparkling lemonade, but with gin. :)
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Any NOMmies like Gin?

Gin and Tonic was my preference during my gin phase. Also, don't cheap out on the tonic. It is the majority of your drink so pouring good gin into cheap tonic is just a shame. If you go into the new aged gin then the sky's the limit, one of my favorite new aged gin drinks was a Uncle Val's Peppered Gin mixed with grapefruit juice and a muddled jalapeno.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.