What are you drinking right now?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Enoch Witty

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Enoch Witty » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:41 am

Yum!

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:34 am

I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 YR to accompany the Laphroaig 10 YR I've got. I may be addicted to peat.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 pm

Dravin wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:34 am
I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 YR to accompany the Laphroaig 10 YR I've got. I may be addicted to peat.
My husband ordered a Laphroaig one time. He was quite happy with it and had me try it. It tasted like I had licked the bottom of an ashtray. Serious inquiry, how do you do it? I am not a whiskey drinker due to long ago bad experience with -cough cough - Canadian Mist (can't even get it close to my nose without the gag reflex starting).
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:05 am

HighMaintenance wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 pm
It tasted like I had licked the bottom of an ashtray.
I find Laphroaig to be more day after bonfire smokiness and Ardbeg more ashy smoke personally. At any rate, the most common advice is not to dive deeply into the peat end as a newbie. Advice I ignored but I started with a 50 ml bottle so I figure if I didn't like it I wasn't going to be stuck with a full sized bottle I didn't want to drink. I swung for the fences and lucked out with a home run as far as my taste buds were concerned, it easily could have been an unpleasant experience but I went into it listening to people describe heavily peated whiskey and salivating so not quite as reckless as it could have been.
Serious inquiry, how do you do it?
I enjoy smoke is how I do it with regards to peat, I also enjoy the more vegetal qualities more restrained peat (or the undertones of stronger peat often has going on) tends to give it a kinda wet leaves on an autumn floor vibe. There is, once you get past fairly common flavors interesting nuances to tease out of a fair number of whiskies and I enjoy doing that. So sure, a pour of Larceny (a bourbon) has your standard vanilla and caramel but there is also nuts and fruit. I like doing tasting notes and I can share mine (I keep them in a Google Doc) if you're curious.

Hell, I'll just be preemptive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S1F ... sp=sharing

Ignore or peruse as is your wont. :)

I am not a whiskey drinker due to long ago bad experience with -cough cough - Canadian Mist (can't even get it close to my nose without the gag reflex starting).
I can understand that, I couldn't even eat Hot Tamales (the candy) for a long time after a bad experience with cinnamon schnapps.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:41 am

Went to dinner last night at Taqueria 27. I opted for a Spicy Pineapple Margarita along with some Wagyu Beef tacos. It was excellent.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:14 pm

Currently - shocktop sunset orange. This one is a bit sweet. I prefer a regular shock top.

Last night, captain Morgan shots. Shocktop sunset orange, space ace fruit cider.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:28 pm

IrishDeath-.jpg
IrishDeath-.jpg (139.1 KiB) Viewed 13035 times
]
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:20 pm

That looks like a root beer float!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:05 am

This stuff serves as a refreshing change of pace from tried and true Diet Coke.

It also goes well with Chilean sea bass.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Dravin wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:05 am
HighMaintenance wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 pm
It tasted like I had licked the bottom of an ashtray.
I find Laphroaig to be more day after bonfire smokiness and Ardbeg more ashy smoke personally. At any rate, the most common advice is not to dive deeply into the peat end as a newbie. Advice I ignored but I started with a 50 ml bottle so I figure if I didn't like it I wasn't going to be stuck with a full sized bottle I didn't want to drink. I swung for the fences and lucked out with a home run as far as my taste buds were concerned, it easily could have been an unpleasant experience but I went into it listening to people describe heavily peated whiskey and salivating so not quite as reckless as it could have been.
Serious inquiry, how do you do it?
I enjoy smoke is how I do it with regards to peat, I also enjoy the more vegetal qualities more restrained peat (or the undertones of stronger peat often has going on) tends to give it a kinda wet leaves on an autumn floor vibe. There is, once you get past fairly common flavors interesting nuances to tease out of a fair number of whiskies and I enjoy doing that. So sure, a pour of Larceny (a bourbon) has your standard vanilla and caramel but there is also nuts and fruit. I like doing tasting notes and I can share mine (I keep them in a Google Doc) if you're curious.

Hell, I'll just be preemptive: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S1F ... sp=sharing

Ignore or peruse as is your wont. :)

I am not a whiskey drinker due to long ago bad experience with -cough cough - Canadian Mist (can't even get it close to my nose without the gag reflex starting).
I can understand that, I couldn't even eat Hot Tamales (the candy) for a long time after a bad experience with cinnamon schnapps.
Thanks for sharing your tasting notes. Very interesting. Maybe someday!

A couple of years ago at the bar at the marina a guy was buying Fireball shots for his friends and the bartender told him it was my birthday, so he bought one for me (despite my protestations). Now, I know that's not REALLY whiskey, buttttttt.... It sat in front of me for about an hour before I got up the nerve to take a sip. Ugh. Finally just downed it so we could go back to the boat for the night. :? Not a fan.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Spiritless

Post by Spiritless » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Lindemans lambic raspberry beer. I love these fruity lambic Belgium beers!

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:59 pm

What?
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Gin and Tonic. Wasn't cwald a proponent of this venerable cocktail?

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Doing a double header tonight. Right now I'm working on a dram of Aberlour 12 Year Old Double Cask Matured (a scotch) and I'll be following it with some Appleton Estate 12 Year Old Rare Blend (which will be my first sipping rum).

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:52 pm

It's our office Christmas party and one of my colleagues brought in a big ice cream bucket full of bourbon slush. He isn't sharing the recipe, but it's delicious -- very citrus-y and just a little sweet.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Fifi de la Vergne wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:52 pm
It's our office Christmas party and one of my colleagues brought in a big ice cream bucket full of bourbon slush. He isn't sharing the recipe, but it's delicious -- very citrus-y and just a little sweet.
Sounds tasty.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Hermey wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:41 am
I opted for a Spicy Pineapple Margarita along with some Wagyu Beef tacos. It was excellent.
Crap. I had to settle with Kobe hot dogs (made from the finest Kobe chickens, pigs, and rat droppings).
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm drinking the usual right now... coke zero with fresh lemon and a splash of grenadine. Of course my doctor told me I should switch to coffee since it is better for you. She's a Mormon.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Rolled out of bed early this morning and made six batches of dough for Zeppoles and a pitcher of Apple Cider Sangria for later in the day.

Grabbed an iced coffee while at St. Judas the Traitor. Made some spaghetti sauce in the afternoon and started in on the pitcher of Apple Cider Sangria. Polished up a few glasses of that. Have to save some for tomorrow. It was soooo good! Now I'm pounding down some water.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:42 pm

SeeNoEvil wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:52 pm
I'm drinking the usual right now... coke zero with fresh lemon and a splash of grenadine. Of course my doctor told me I should switch to coffee since it is better for you. She's a Mormon.
A smart mormon.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi