Netflix Messiah

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Raylan Givens

Netflix Messiah

Post by Raylan Givens » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:38 pm

I am about 3/4 the way through the Messiah on Netflix. I find it very compelling and well shot and acted. It is produced by Mark Burnett (big time evangelical), but so far quite gripping.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Corsair

Re: Netflix Messiah

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:14 pm

I have heard recommendations for this series from a couple of sources. I will have to queue it up after "The Expanse" season 4.

Sheamus Moore

Post by Sheamus Moore » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:42 pm

Not rapid pace but it is entertaining. And, interestingly, the character of the US President is..... Mormon.

BringEmYoung

Post by BringEmYoung » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 pm

+1 I really enjoyed this series. I really hope there is a season 2.

If you can stomach subtitles, I also really liked the Danish series "Herrens Veje" (Ride upon the Storm) also on Netflix. It also grapples with faith and very imperfect people. It stars Lars Mikkelsen as a dogmatic, but very flawed, Priest and his troubled relationship with his sons who are questioning the existence of God. I guess a PTSD warning is appropriate here.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Different Channel, but I downloaded season one of the BBC/HBO collaboration on His Dark Materials. Wonder if the LDS Church has a stand on that program?

Speaking of LDS content shows, I still need to finish up Season 4 of The Expanse. At least we now know were all the trillions of space credits to build the Starship Nauvoo came from.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:45 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:43 pm
Different Channel, but I downloaded season one of the BBC/HBO collaboration on His Dark Materials. Wonder if the LDS Church has a stand on that program?

Speaking of LDS content shows, I still need to finish up Season 4 of The Expanse. At least we now know were all the trillions of space credits to build the Starship Nauvoo came from.
The great irony here is that the COBlers probably blew all of their Ensign Peak funds to build that new intergalactic temple but god could not prevent all his special kids from getting kicked off of it (so it be requisitioned into a huge asteroid smashing missile and then a star gate rest stop). Maybe in season 5 the TMBs get it back?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:52 pm

I just finished watching episode 3 of His Dark Materials. It is like the BBC and HBO combined their know-how on this one.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:33 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:52 pm
I just finished watching episode 3 of His Dark Materials. It is like the BBC and HBO combined their know-how on this one.
Come watch me, Iorek Byrnison by downloading season 1.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:35 pm

I finished Season 1 of His Dark Materials. Think I might watch The Witcher next or some movie.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:44 am

I just got to the part of Messiah when you find out POTUS is LDS. Sort of the Mormon dream come true - the president of the final days is a 2nd-anointed priesthood man. Or maybe it's not the last days, the series leaves you guessing.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:57 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:52 pm
Season two is out and you can currently watch the first two episodes on HBO for free with Comcast.
-- Moksha