How much weight do you anticipate gaining due to social distancing?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

How much weight do you anticipate gaining due to social distancing?

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:14 pm

When I'm home where the food is I find it particularly difficult to look the other way.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: How much weight do you anticipate gaining due to social distancing?

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:14 pm
When I'm home where the food is I find it particularly difficult to look the other way.
Well, that's a distinct possibility.

To quote a friend of mine when discussing this sort of "see-food" diet once upon a time: "Dude, that's just willpower."

I replied: "Yeah, I have none" (willpower.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:24 pm

I'm definitely eating lots of carbs, but also more physically active at home than I was at work.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 pm

I was thinking about cities in China where many people ate meals at street vendor stalls or bought food at wet markets. Eating habits must have taken a big jolt. I already had my big meal of the day, but I am starting to feel hungry just thinking of food.

Has it been proven that foods are just as calorie-laden during times of social distancing?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:01 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 pm
Has it been proven that foods are just as calorie-laden during times of social distancing?
I can only speak from personal experience, but I'm guessing about 50% higher calorie density, and it seems to mutate over time to follow the same curve as COVID-19. Next time I stand in line at Sam's Club I'll see if there is an isle where they stock diet food, you know, the stuff that follows the Dow Jones curve. I have a particular problem with food. It tends to get in my mouth.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 am

Still dropping the weight. The hardest thing is not giving in to the munchies after “medicating” in the evening. 😂

alas

Post by alas » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:39 pm

My husband had to go to Walmart to send off the tax paperwork to the guy who does our taxes. He decided to do a little grocery shopping while at Walmart. He came home with a pie, ice cream, and three bags of Easter candy. How to self medicate feeling depressed.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:10 am

I’m just going to keep replying with memes haha.

But omgosh (all seriousness put to the side) I’m suffering! I need SNACKS to tackle all this online college hw... Chips! Candy! These carrots with hummus for a week and a half because the snacks don’t last but a couple days isn’t helping me!
I lost a little weight at first, but I’m going batty in quarantine and been eating a lot lately. All the free exercise videos are engaging about one to two days per week... not enough to make up for the rest haha.I stupidly started p90x3 and was quickly like, um... nope.

I’d say no one sees me but I have zoom and have to tape myself teaching lessons haha...ah!
Maybe this will inspire me? Or maybe I’ll go put on my swimsuit... that’ll put the fear in me....
Attachments
65B659F6-552E-4F2F-929B-059E1C313860.jpeg
65B659F6-552E-4F2F-929B-059E1C313860.jpeg (163.5 KiB) Viewed 5925 times
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:56 am

Who is actually staying home. All the trails around Salt Lake are packed with people. Seems plenty of people are getting exercise instead of sitting in their basement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:30 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:56 am
Who is actually staying home. All the trails around Salt Lake are packed with people. Seems plenty of people are getting exercise instead of sitting in their basement.
So far I have actually lost some weight. I make sure I get out for a run or bike ride or something every day. You're right, there are more people on the trails who would otherwise be sitting at desks or behind counters at work.