My drone models

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

My drone models

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:18 pm

Annotatedbom asked me in another thread about my archaeology work. I use drones to make high-res orthographic maps, Digital Elevation Models, and 3D meshes of archaeological and historical sites. One of my ongoing projects is the creation of 3D models of historic features in Utah. It occurred to me that some of you might be interested in seeing some of the local stuff I have done for SHPO (Utah State Historic Preservation Office) and the US Forest Service. I have some of these uploaded onto SketchFab:

https://sketchfab.com/KHatch

Click on one of the images, give it a minute to load and use your mouse to tilt and pan & mouse wheel to zoom in/out (press/hold wheel and drag for up/down).

My current project is Black Rock at the south end of the Great Salt Lake. The model is called Black Rock Before because it's purpose is to document the graffiti clean-up that's going on there. I'll go back out there sometime in the next week or so to make the After model.

The project I'm most excited about is the mapping I was doing of archaeological sites Peru, but the loss of our director and the arrival of the Coronamonster have kinda thrown those plans into chaos.

Maybe I'll get a chance to make a model of the Zelph mound soon!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: My drone models

Post by wtfluff » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:48 pm

VERY cool stuff Hagoth!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:13 pm

Any chance you could list the geographical location and brief history of the site? For example:

Black Rock - On the south shore of the Great Salt Lake. The spot where the Angel Rizzo delivered the Deseret Alphabet unto Brigham Young.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:03 pm

Frisco, in west central Utah, is the ghost of a crazy Wild West mining town. At one time half of the buildings in town were taverns and brothels. Just like in the movie westerns, a sheriff was brought in to clean up the town and supposedly killed 11 men in one day.

The Osiris Mill is a historic creamery-turned-grist mill near Antimony, UT. I don't know much about it but I'm sure it's haunted or something.

The Bringhurst Booster Station was one of a string of electric generator plants along the Wasatch Front that powered the electric Bamberger rail line around 1910. It was torn down the day after I captured the data for this model to make room for a hyperspace bypass.

The Tintic Standard Reduction Mill near Goshen, UT consists of a series of large fonts for the baptism of the 10 tribes into the Brighamite chruch immediately upon their return.

The Vernon house is the remains of one of the early homesteads near Vernon, UT. I was actually making maps to assess construction damage to a nearby Fremont archaeological site and was asked to model this site because, you know, I was already out there.

The McPollen Barn is the big white structure you pass on your way to Park City. I was asked to create an interactive model of it for Park City's website. You can see it there under the McPollen Farm tab.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:09 pm

Do you think you'll do Lucin?

Also on my bucket list is Metropolis out in NV.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:15 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:09 pm
Do you think you'll do Lucin?

Also on my bucket list is Metropolis out in NV.
I would love to model the ruins at Metropolis. I have done some of the Chinese railroad camps in the general vicinity of Lucin. I'll probably get around to it all eventually!

I've been toying with a hobby project idea to put together an archive of ghost town drone maps and models. The project is tentatively called GASP (Ghost town Aerial Survey Project). Here's a logo I've been playing around with:
GaspLogo01_01_sm.jpg
GaspLogo01_01_sm.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2934 times