A couple of sculptures

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

A couple of sculptures

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:22 pm

I have always been fascinated with the mystical experience. I was reading Karen’s Armstrong’s A History of God when I was struck by the vast variety of such experiences, and in particular how much the divine experience in Western/Biblical traditions can differ from what is found in Eastern worldviews. Armstrong expressed this dichotomy like this: “The process of awakening or illumination was clearly very different from the wrenching, violent inspiration of prophecy.”

I thought it would be a fun challenge to try to capture the two extremes in clay. The prophet catching the full firehose of Yahwehic revelation was a lot more fun (and successful I think). The other is supposed to be a person looking inward with raised eyebrows at the "aha" moment of visionary enlightenment, but maybe just looks like a sleepy guy. These are works in progress and I don't know how well I am succeeding, but here ya go:
Face01sm.jpg
Face01sm.jpg (69.6 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
Attachments
Face02sm.jpg
Face02sm.jpg (64.37 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Re: A couple of sculptures

Post by Corsair » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Those are great, Hagoth. This is far outside of my talents and I think you have captured a moment of inspiration for both of them.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:01 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:22 pm
These are works in progress and I don't know how well I am succeeding, but here ya go:
You are succeeding.

I am overjoyed that there is no lighted pen associated with the "wrenching, violent inspiration of prophecy."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Noice!

That is some fine talent you'er not hiding under a bush!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Random

Post by Random » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:15 pm

The first guy looks like a zen guy in enlightenment, so I think you've captured that. And the second one definitely looks like he got hit with a firehose of knowledge/understanding/information.

I love your talent!
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05 am

Random wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:15 pm
The first guy looks like a zen guy in enlightenment, so I think you've captured that. And the second one definitely looks like he got hit with a firehose of knowledge/understanding/information.

I love your talent!
Bible prophecies are full of monsters, demons, reanimating skeletons, Yahweh's buttocks, and all kinds of other horrors. Those stories still keep millions of people up at night. I assume they're really just literary metaphors, but I kind of like the idea that those guys were unwilling participants in a horror show that they couldn't switch off.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:04 pm

The first one is me when I realized that it's all made up.

The second one is also me when I realized that it's all made up.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:19 pm

For your next sculpture, how about a Caesar Marcus Aurelius? I was recently reading an article about this guy. Here's a clip from Gladiator where Marcus talks with Maximus about taking over as Caesar when he dies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MtObh-wDo

The CEOs of LDS Corporation just offer empty platitudes, quoting each other standing on the shoulders of real giants of the past, taking credit where it's not due. Original thoughts from great leaders like Marcus are the source of some incredible truths that require no gods or religious inversions hanging over or around them, distorting them to their own selfish purposes. During his reign, Caesar Marcus Aurelius often wrote his thoughts down in a journal. Here's a few gems:

"You have power over your mind — not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”

“The needs of a happy life are very few.”

“You don’t have to turn this into something. It doesn’t have to upset you.”

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

“Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.”

“Just that you do the right thing. The rest doesn’t matter.”

“Understand that your time has a limit set to it. Use it, then to advance your enlightenment; or it will be gone, and never in your power again.”
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Freakin' love them!

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:55 am

Those are really GOOD man! I had no idea you sculpted. Keep showing us more of your stuff, I LOVE em!
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-