Bad movie night: The Adventures of Pluto Nash

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Reuben

Bad movie night: The Adventures of Pluto Nash

Post by Reuben » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:14 pm

https://imdb.com/title/tt0180052

This movie doesn't deserve the 3.8/10 it's gotten at IMDB. It's a solid 5.1 at least.

Sure, some questionable decisions were made. Casting Eddie Murphy as the straight man in a sci-fi adventure comedy was one such decision. Writing so few jokes - and probably expecting the comedy to be carried by Murphy's ad-libbing - was another. Making almost all the jokes be android sex jokes was another. (To be fair, one of them is hilarious.) Spending $100 million to polish a turd was another.

Oh yeah, it made back $7 million globally. Oops!

The usually serious action is punctuated by raving weirdness. Example: after a dramatic loss of android power (seriously), a rescuer brings out jumper cables and affixes them to the android's ear and, um, dong. Example: a man in a kilt plays an accordion because Scottish culture. Example: Hillary Clinton is on the $10,000 bill.

It's hard to be bored when you're staring in disbelief for 1 out of every 5 minutes.

But it's a solid popcorn flick. It's got solid effects, solid writing, solid acting, solid romantic tension, and even a solid climactic twist. The action usually borders on exciting. That's kind of the problem, though: it's solid, but nothing about it is great. And when you go into a movie expecting Eddie Murphy to tickle your funny bone but end up being entertained in a slightly uncomfortable way by his weird friends, you kind of want to get your Hillaries back.

Quality: 5.3/10

Stimulation: 7/10
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

moksha

Re: Bad movie night: The Adventures of Pluto Nash

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Much younger Dr. Peterson watching the 3D version of former Manti Miracle Pageant.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: Bad movie night: The Adventures of Pluto Nash

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 10, 2020 7:35 pm

I finally sat down to watch it. No longer available. :cry:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."