Keeping up with Trump

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Angel

Re: Keeping up with Trump

Post by Angel » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:50 am

"The President in particular is very much a figurehead—he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it. […] Very very few people realize that the President and the Government have virtually no power at all, and of these few people only six know whence ultimate power is wielded." - who can name what book this quote is from?

Anyways, don't blame me. I voted for kodos.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:15 pm

Binger, this will make you spill your holy water:

The Fulton County Grand Jury handed down 10 indictments. Now we have to wait and find out what the indictments say.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:12 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:15 pm
Binger, this will make you spill your holy water:

The Fulton County Grand Jury handed down 10 indictments. Now we have to wait and find out what the indictments say.
Why do you think this will make me spill holy water?

I think that many people who enjoy getting news about Trump will love this news. It will definitely fix a daily jones. I do not think that the people who mainline this news will enjoy all the consequences of the actual facts, actual conditions and actual reactions.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:59 am

Trump's legal team wants to set a jury trial for April 2026 because of the immensity of the evidence against Trump. They are hoping that Trump will get elected as President and issue a pardon to himself for all his crimes before starting on a new set of crimes. What else can defense lawyers do when faced with a mountain of evidence against their client?

**Correction - Fulton County issued a 41-count indictment against Trump and his corrupt practices coconspirators.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:45 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:59 am
Trump's legal team wants to set a jury trial for April 2026 because of the immensity of the evidence against Trump. They are hoping that Trump will get elected as President and issue a pardon to himself for all his crimes before starting on a new set of crimes. What else can defense lawyers do when faced with a mountain of evidence against their client?

**Correction - Fulton County issued a 41-count indictment against Trump and his corrupt practices coconspirators.
Oh, I see. Want to try this again using facts? Are you ever interested in that?

What is the typical timeline for a trial in these circumstances?

The answer to your questions is that defense lawyers can do everything available to them within agreed laws and the process for the court. There are rules and procedures that apply to prosecutors and defense counsel. The gravity or popularity or quantity of counts in a case does not change the rules and procedures.
Rules of court are a set of procedural regulations adopted by courts which must be followed by parties and their lawyers on matters within the court's jurisdiction. These rules are often classified into different categories, such as criminal procedure, civil procedure, evidence rules, and appellate procedure.
There are many resources available, even to a penguin, that explain rules and procedures. Have you looked for the rules that apply to the court where this is to be tried, and have you considered the rules and procedures, and laws, that apply to federal officials charged in a state court? Most likely, this case will be drawn out for at least a year just to determine correct jurisdiction. And trust me, you snapjudgment penguin, you probably do not want the DA in Deadwood, South Dakota charging Biden with a crime even if he committed one. The process matters. Outcomes achieved by circumventing the process have consequences - see the 2016 presidential election.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:28 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:59 am
They are hoping that Trump will get elected as President and issue a pardon to himself...
I'm not going to get in a debate with anyone about this, but it certainly looks like that is the game plan.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:20 pm

Every time I hear about Trump and his legal shenanigans, I am amazed at the parallels with the career of a Gaius Julius Caesar.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:46 am

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:45 pm
Trump's legal team proposes April 2026 trial date in federal election interference case.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-pro ... -1.6940253
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/us/t ... posal.html
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/17/politics ... index.html
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:51 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:46 am
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:45 pm
Trump's legal team proposes April 2026 trial date in federal election interference case.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-pro ... -1.6940253
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/us/t ... posal.html
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/17/politics ... index.html
What are the answers to my questions?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so you did lie and make some more stuff up and that is so funny, wee penguin. I am so proud of you again. From your link:
In a court filing Thursday evening, Trump's lawyers say the years-long delay is warranted because of the "massive" amount of information — prosecutors have already produced more than 11.5 million pages — they have to review and because of scheduling conflicts with the other criminal cases Trump is facing.
But do go on entertaining us, even if it is all just a meme of the unfactual facts. Thank you in advance.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:16 am

Meilingkie wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:20 pm
Every time I hear about Trump and his legal shenanigans, I am amazed at the parallels with the career of a Gaius Julius Caesar.
I am curious, do you see similar parallels with the shenanigans of the FBI and DOJ?

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:17 pm

-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:35 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:17 pm
So true. That was my first thought with Jenna Ellis's mugshot.
je2.png
je2.png (138.26 KiB) Viewed 16875 times

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:01 am

I wonder how many hours he spent in front of the mirror practicing that stare.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:08 am

-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:56 am

Didn’t satan use the same stare in the temple endowment video right as he breaks the fourth wall and tells everyone in attendance that he is in power?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:20 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:56 am
Didn’t satan use the same stare in the temple endowment video right as he breaks the fourth wall and tells everyone in attendance that he is in power?
Indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09oDUvGn-sI
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:16 am

Trump says that Biden’s cognitive decline could lead us to World War 2…

https://twitter.com/AGHamilton29/status ... 03354?s=20
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:01 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:16 am
Trump says that Biden’s cognitive decline could lead us to World War 2…

https://twitter.com/AGHamilton29/status ... 03354?s=20
That is possibly the funniest thing I have ever heard.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:37 pm

What if Fox News told the truth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjS_7eNoOg
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:12 am

Appreciating the Patriotism of General Mark Milley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvKXyoegqBQ

Trump posted that General Milley should be executed for being a traitor. Trump wanted to use the military to keep himself in power as an unelected dictator.
-- Moksha