Keeping up with Trump

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
hmb

Re: Keeping up with your mamma

Post by hmb » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:01 am

I am pointing out the absurdity of the stereotyping and bigotry and asking for an explanation. Is it agreed that absurd bigotry and stereotyping is funny? If so, can we also accept that a response to absurd stereotyping and bigotry is funny?
Absurd bigotry and stereotyping. I would call these things sarcasm. I like sarcasm. I enjoy playful bantering. From my observations, of the dialog between you and Penguin, your reactions do not feel like sarcasm, but more of a defense. When you respond, it presents like an attack on Penguin's comments. Maybe that is not your intent, perhaps I'm incorrect. I'm just sharing how your responses come across to me (I'm not speaking for anyone else). I miss the days when jokes, sarcasm, and debates could happen without it turning angry.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:17 am

hmb wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:01 am

I am pointing out the absurdity of the stereotyping and bigotry and asking for an explanation. Is it agreed that absurd bigotry and stereotyping is funny? If so, can we also accept that a response to absurd stereotyping and bigotry is funny?

Absurd bigotry and stereotyping. I would call these things sarcasm. I like sarcasm. I enjoy playful bantering. From my observations, of the dialog between you and Penguin, your reactions do not feel like sarcasm, but more of a defense. When you respond, it presents like an attack on Penguin's comments. Maybe that is not your intent, perhaps I'm incorrect. I'm just sharing how your responses come across to me (I'm not speaking for anyone else). I miss the days when jokes, sarcasm, and debates could happen without it turning angry.
Okay. Cool. Let’s play this out just a little bit. But not too much.

If one is sarcastic, does that mean one is not also seriously insulting somebody or something? For example, is Steven Colbert’s schtick actually just funny and not also insulting? if I dislike Colbert’s insults does that make me angry? I don’t like Jeff Foxworthy’s humor, am I angry? You may not like Chappelle, are you angry?

I promise you I am not angry. Not even a little bit. Maybe ask yourself why you are defending a comment that suggested that Mormons would strap on a suicide vest and kill people in a crowd if Trump told them to do so. And then, ask yourself, who is actually angry. It damn sure ain’t me. Maybe its you. Maybe you miss the days when saying horrible shit got the penguin chatter and laughs only. Or, maybe you say things similar to Moksha’s comment and it bothers you that he is not congratulated by me for his comment.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:41 am

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:17 am
Maybe ask yourself why you are defending a comment that suggested that Mormons would strap on a suicide vest and kill people in a crowd if Trump told them to do so.
Binger, work on your reading comprehension. The strapping on a bomb would occur after Trump caused the dissolution of the United States and it broke up into smaller countries such as the New Confederate States and the Kingdom of Deseret. The Confederate States would have rabid hillbillies with a penchant against Mormons (we don't cotton to no Mormons down here). The Kingdom of Deseret could count on the unfettered loyalty of its members to do what is necessary to avenge the honor of the Saints. Hopefully, Trump would just be a fond memory of the Confederates at that point.

I wish you could return to Discuss Mormonism so they could slap you around for your troublemaking, but I have no say in that matter. Now, leave me alone.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:54 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:41 am
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:17 am
Maybe ask yourself why you are defending a comment that suggested that Mormons would strap on a suicide vest and kill people in a crowd if Trump told them to do so.
Binger, work on your reading comprehension. The strapping on a bomb would occur after Trump caused the dissolution of the United States and it broke up into smaller countries such as the New Confederate States and the Kingdom of Deseret. The Confederate States would have rabid hillbillies with a penchant against Mormons (we don't cotton to no Mormons down here). The Kingdom of Deseret could count on the unfettered loyalty of its members to do what is necessary to avenge the honor of the Saints. Hopefully, Trump would just be a fond memory of the Confederates at that point.

I wish you could return to Discuss Mormonism so they could slap you around for your troublemaking, but I have no say in that matter. Now, leave me alone.
Nah. I reject your conditions.

Let me see if I got this right. Again, you bring up your grievances from another board, including referencing me as Binger, again. You double down on your assertions that are not based in fact. You pretend to insult my reading comprehension. You base this on a wild and delusional assumption that Trump would dissolve the USA into multiple sovereignties. You suggest, not sarcastically, that some states would have rabid hillbillies. And then, you pretend that the Mormons would have one of these states and seek vengeance or violence or both, or something like that (Avenge?). You suggest that I am making trouble, while you are making trouble.

In short - you share conspiracies, prejudice, stereotypes, bigotry and delusions, LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: . You bring up another board grievance. And you close by asking that your nonsense not be engaged. Nope, I reject your conditions.

For the benefit of your defenders, LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

moksha

Keeping up with Trump

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:04 am

Binger, I've seen the terrible impact your brand of malice had on that other board and how unpleasant you made it. Please don't do that here.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Re: Keeping up with Trump

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:20 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:04 am
Binger, I've seen the terrible impact your brand of malice had on that other board and how unpleasant you made it. Please don't do that here.
Moksha, take it elsewhere. You have been asked repeatedly to not bring that bullshit here. Further, your suggestion is not sarcastic and funny and and it is not true. Well, the fact that it is not true makes it a bit funny :lol: :lol: :lol: . So there is that.

Your brand of bigotry and ideology, albeit sarcastic apparently, makes this board unpleasant for people who do not agree that Mormons would become suicide bombers. Neither does your brand of bigotry and ideology, albeit sarcastic, comply with the original intent of LDSMan, Dathon, Peggy, Froggie, Ann, and others who intended for this board to be a place where people participate and find ways of co-existing within and without the church.

You thrive where free speech is banned :lol: :lol: :lol: and you thrive in a hive. Enjoy that, buddy.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:18 am

OK…

We don’t moderate this board much.

But it’s time to step in.

Penguin and Elephant, please take your petty off board banter somewhere else. Personally I love you both and the voices you bring to the board. But this back and forth doesn’t need to continue. If it does, the posts will be deleted.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:27 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:18 am
OK…

We don’t moderate this board much.

But it’s time to step in.

Penguin and Elephant, please take your petty off board banter somewhere else. Personally I love you both and the voices you bring to the board. But this back and forth doesn’t need to continue. If it does, the posts will be deleted.
Right back atchya with love. That all works fine for me. If the forth stops there shall be no back.

Dirty Bird

Post by Dirty Bird » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:57 am

I would like to be compelled to post here more often, but I get the impression that this board is hostile toward Mormons and particularly anyone who is a Trump supporter.

I have spent a significant amount of time reading prior threads, and after doing so, I have come to the conclusion that certain people, such as Moksha and a few others, have an unhealthy fixation on smearing Trump's reputation and belittling his supporters. I get that half the country gets a kick out of pretending that Trump fans are naive, but there's no reason to bring it up on a discussion board dedicated to Mormonism. The penguin, in my opinion, does not even come close to straddling the political fence, in contrast to ME, which at least appears to do so. It does not matter if someone leans far left or conservative for that matter; it does not change the fact that their hatred is just as harmful in any case.

I was wondering whether it would be acceptable if I established a thread about President Biden so that the more conservative members of the board could talk about how Joe is completely incompetent and can hardly weave two sentences together. And if I do, would a political thread be out of place here, or am I in the right place?

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:02 pm

Dirty Bird wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:57 am
I would like to be compelled to post here more often, but I get the impression that this board is hostile toward Mormons and particularly anyone who is a Trump supporter.

I have spent a significant amount of time reading prior threads, and after doing so, I have come to the conclusion that certain people, such as Moksha and a few others, have an unhealthy fixation on smearing Trump's reputation and belittling his supporters. I get that half the country gets a kick out of pretending that Trump fans are naive, but there's no reason to bring it up on a discussion board dedicated to Mormonism. The penguin, in my opinion, does not even come close to straddling the political fence, in contrast to ME, which at least appears to do so. It does not matter if someone leans far left or conservative for that matter; it does not change the fact that their hatred is just as harmful in any case.

I was wondering whether it would be acceptable if I established a thread about President Biden so that the more conservative members of the board could talk about how Joe is completely incompetent and can hardly weave two sentences together. And if I do, would a political thread be out of place here, or am I in the right place?
Was I just dehumanized?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:03 pm

Post away Dirty Bird!

As for hostility towards Mormons…

Most of us are still Mormons. Trying to leave. Trying to stay. But still Mormons. The freedom to speak our minds whether for or against the church is a great step in making our own decisions in life.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:20 pm

I do not feel like bringing in a sock puppet to back me up.

Would this board be better off without me? Could shy Mormons emerge from the woodwork and bask in the sun?

Look, I do not like the thought of posting and then worrying what ME/Binger will say so things stay cool with Red Ryder. No one wants to look over their shoulder in such a manner.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:10 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:20 pm
I do not feel like bringing in a sock puppet to back me up.

Would this board be better off without me? Could shy Mormons emerge from the woodwork and bask in the sun?

Look, I do not like the thought of posting and then worrying what ME/Binger will say so things stay cool with Red Ryder. No one wants to look over their shoulder in such a manner.
C'mon Penguin. I don't have a puppet, and you have been asked to STOP bringing in the other board as drama or content. I think the board is fine with you and also finer without the things that make it less fine.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:04 pm

Dirty Bird wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:57 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:03 pm
Post away Dirty Bird!
LET'S GO!!!

Keeping up with Biden
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:33 pm

A possible way to keep Trump from sharing national secrets with foreign leaders.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:50 pm

Chris Christie makes a short declaration of what is going to happen in the Trump case:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eqbdkIH0KT4
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:53 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:50 pm
Chris Christie makes a short declaration of what is going to happen in the Trump case:

Will Trump try to do a tie-in between himself and Guy Fawkes, the 5th of November guy? I don't think Fawkes was a narcissistic psychopath.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:41 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:53 am
moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:50 pm

Will Trump try to do a tie-in between himself and Guy Fawkes, the 5th of November guy? I don't think Fawkes was a narcissistic psychopath.
No.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:08 pm

Serious question: Can a felon serving time in a penitentiary simultaneously serve time as US president? Right now it's kind of looking like Trump might be on track for that Bizarro Land collision of realities.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:24 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:08 pm
Serious question: Can a felon serving time in a penitentiary simultaneously serve time as US president? Right now it's kind of looking like Trump might be on track for that Bizarro Land collision of realities.
I have no idea.

Bizzaroland is already here. This trial is an absolute farcical joke. The longer it goes on, the more popular Trump gets. If Trump gets convicted for a loan application that was paid on time and in full, you can rest assured that he will get more popular - by a lot. If he gets convicted by a lunatic democrat judge in NYC, I promise you he will be more popular in Iowa, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and other states. You can also sleep well knowing that Philly, Milwaukee, Maricopa, Atlanta, Cook County, and Detroit will take care of business. As long as we have mass mail-out ballots, the needed numbers will come back in and Trump will lose any ballot counting contests in those key states. I would not lose a wink of sleep about it.

In the meantime, DA's will campaign in the courtroom, Judges will audition for promotions and accolades, and the media will sell to the silos. As usual.