Keeping up with Trump

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

Re: Keeping up with Trump

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:26 am

It's interesting to watch what's happening with the pro-Trump news outlets now that they're getting sued for spreading lies about election stealing. Both Fox and Newsmax have suddenly become oustpoken supporters of the legitimacy of the election results. Fox had to start having fact checkers denounce what its own commentators have been saying. They even fired Lou Dobbs over it, even though he had the largest audience of any business news channel.

I'm sure everyone saw the clip of Newsmax's Bob Sellers walking off the set because his newfound attempts to defend the legitimacy of the election were getting drowned out by Mr. My Pillow's election fraud rants.

When it comes to the possibility of having to actually defend their election fraud mouth-noise in court they tuck tail and run. These aren't news services, they are just dangerous entertainment. And they know it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:52 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:26 am
Fox had to start having fact-checkers denounce what its own commentators have been saying. They even fired Lou Dobbs over it, even though he had the largest audience of any business news channel.
Fox News should run a brief announcement at the start of all right-wing opinion programming that what the viewers are seeing is opinion rather than the news.

Also, they should require Judge Jeanine Pirro to be sober during her airtime at Fox.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:17 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:52 am
Hagoth wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:26 am
Fox had to start having fact-checkers denounce what its own commentators have been saying. They even fired Lou Dobbs over it, even though he had the largest audience of any business news channel.
Fox News should run a brief announcement at the start of all right-wing opinion programming that what the viewers are seeing is opinion rather than the news.

Also, they should require Judge Jeanine Pirro to be sober during her airtime at Fox.
"For Entertainment Purposes Only."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:21 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:17 am
"For Entertainment Purposes Only."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:16 pm

I thought the prosecution did a pretty solid job today, especially in highlighting Trump's disinterest in ending the riot while continuing to fuel the flames.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:23 am

This seems like a good summary of the proceedings to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJsArLGQRcY

CNN even has a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGsRAtDszRk
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 am

Understanding the intent of Trump on January 6th via a phone call from House Minority Leader, Kevin McCarthy to Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1FPNluoOE
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:56 am

Yesterday was pretty interesting. The defense looks bad, unprepared. After 3 of 16 hours of "defending" the former president, the questions and answers were pretty telling. I so wish they would call some witnesses. It would not likely change the outcome (as previously said it could be monkeys and baboons), but it would help cement Trump's guilt and the senate R's lack of living up to their oaths, choosing job security over constitution. Following the timeline of Pence and his family's departure and Trumps following tweets have opened a fresh can of stinky worms. I predict that it will end today with an acquittal, but I hope I'm wrong.

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:06 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 am
Understanding the intent of Trump on January 6th via a phone call from House Minority Leader, Kevin McCarthy to Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1FPNluoOE
McCarthy would be a great witness. It's hard to imagine the end result would change, but it would make it more uncomfortable for a vote to acquit.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:00 am

hmb wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:06 am
McCarthy would be a great witness. It's hard to imagine the end result would change, but it would make it more uncomfortable for a vote to acquit.
I was flabbergasted by all the lies Trump's attorneys made. They would never get away with that in a regular trial. It could be that the lies were made on their client's instructions if they wanted to get paid.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:41 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:00 am
hmb wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:06 am
I was flabbergasted by all the lies Trump's attorneys made. They would never get away with that in a regular trial. It could be that the lies were made on their client's instructions if they wanted to get paid.
But will they get paid?????? One never knows.

It will be good to get Trump out of the news. He will go nutty not being the frontline of newspapers and TV news shows. Of course his other legal problems are in the works. I hope we'll hear about those as a side note. I still wonder what arrested rioters think about Trump escaping conviction while they do time??

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:41 pm

hmb wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:41 pm

But will they get paid?????? One never knows.

It will be good to get Trump out of the news. He will go nutty not being the frontline of newspapers and TV news shows. Of course his other legal problems are in the works. I hope we'll hear about those as a side note. I still wonder what arrested rioters think about Trump escaping conviction while they do time??
Some of them have already turned against him, because he "betrayed them" by pardoning Steve Bannon, who swindled money out of them ostensibly for building the stupid wall.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:50 pm

As long as Trump holds the fascist wing of the Republican Party in thrall, all Republicans (except for Mitt) will jump to his twisted tune.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:59 pm

Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:02 pm

I like the BBC's analysis on this. Here's an excerpt:
A year ago, only one Republican senator - Mitt Romney of Utah - voted to convict Trump. This time, he was joined by six others.

It's no coincidence, however, that of those who broke ranks, three of them - Susan Collins, Ben Sasse and Bill Cassidy - were just re-elected and don't have to face voters for six years. Two - Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Richard Burr of North Carolina - are retiring.

That highlights the challenge facing many of the Republican senators in the chamber. A vote to convict would have attracted the ire of primary voters, many of whom would view the turn against Trump as a betrayal. For those in safe Republican states, a challenge from a fellow conservative is a much more pressing concern than whichever Democrat faces off against them in November.
Yep. There's a good chance this would have been a conviction if it had been possible to have a secret ballot.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:36 pm

January's Mitch McConnell: I won't allow the trial until after Biden's inauguration.

February's Mitch McConnell: Trump is guilty as hell but I voted to acquit because he's no longer the president.

Kentucky should be ashamed to have a moral coward like this for a senator.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:05 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:36 pm
February's Mitch McConnell: Trump is guilty as hell but I voted to acquit because he's no longer the president.
LeftBank.jpg
LeftBank.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 6599 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:14 am

Reuben wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:36 pm
January's Mitch McConnell: I won't allow the trial until after Biden's inauguration.

Kentucky should be ashamed to have a moral coward like this for a senator.
Mitch just wants it both ways. He took the cowards way out. "Trump is responsible, but let someone else deal with it."

I fear seeing any Trump on the 2024 ballot. The nonsense isn't going to stop :? . Although it would be interesting to see Cruz, Hawley, Haley, Pompeo, and the like, up against each other. A Trump on the ballot would trump them all. It's concerning that there are some states working now to make future voting more difficult.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:24 am

What's that British word? I think it is either bollocks or BS. Anyway, if you ever hear anyone say that Republicans have moral integrity, you can use that British word to help clarify reality for them.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:36 am

Flashing back to a picture that I posted here a few months ago. A picture's worth a thousand words: