Your Favorite Foods

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
A New Name

Re: Your Favorite Foods

Post by A New Name » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Last month I was in London on business, and went to a fancy restaurant owned by Gordon Ramsay called the Narrow. I had one of the best desserts ever! (easily my top 5). It was Sticky Toffee Pudding with salted caramel ice cream. I almost ordered two! it was that good.

alas

Post by alas » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:49 am

A New Name wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:53 pm
Last month I was in London on business, and went to a fancy restaurant owned by Gordon Ramsay called the Narrow. I had one of the best desserts ever! (easily my top 5). It was Sticky Toffee Pudding with salted caramel ice cream. I almost ordered two! it was that good.
Oh, speaking of award winning food, twice rated best in world blueberry cheesecake in the small boat harbor near Kihei on Maui, Hawaii. So good, we did order seconds (to take home.) and my husband and I don’t usually do desert. But the restaurant has the best seafood ever, and I have lived several places on the coast, so I know good seafood (and Utah doesn’t have any)

And no matter how good your tour guide says it is, stay away from Tai food in Amsterdam. Supposedly a top rated Tai restaurant, and it was inedibly hot, or gaggingly sweet, and smothered in peanut butter sauce. I like peanut butter, but it does not make a good sauce to dump on everything. So, unless you just love Tai food, it so different than anything you ever tasted, that it gives you a bad case of what my kids called Cultural indigestion. That is where you eat so many weird foods at once that your system’s “possible poison” alarm goes off because you instinctly do not eat too many new foods or you can’t figure out which is poison if you get sick. (And some idiot psychologists claim human don’t have instinctive behavior) Or when you try a brand new food and then throw it up, your body insists it is poison. Like Doritos came out brand new when I was just pregnant with my first child, who is now almost 50. I threw up my first taste of Doritos and I still cannot eat Doritos. And I still cannot ever smell Tai food without nausea.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:46 pm

Some psychologists say humans don't have instinctual behavior? I've never met one who claimed that. Source? I'm baffled one could claim such a thing. BF Skinner claimed humans don't really have free will.. that behavior is all about our learning history, but by now we know behaviorism explains a lot, but not all. I never met Skinner, but I heard from a guy who did that Skinner was a pretty nice guy despite his stern look.. and quite a bit nicer than Carl Rogers. But sorry.. I'm digressing. And I probably shouldn't talk ill of dead psychologists, lest one should haunt me.

What I wanted to say was .. fry sauce? What's the Utah fascination with fry sauce? The first time I was asked if I wanted fry sauce (in Utah, obviously), I asked "what is fry sauce?" and the burger clerk couldn't tell me.. just that it was "really good". I didn't think it was even kinda good. Ketchup and Mayonnaise? I don't like either one of those things. It's like someone's burger condiments dripped on their french fries and they thought they had a great idea. IMO well cooked and properly seasoned fries need no sauce, no matter how good it claims to be, and no sauce will really save bad fries. But, in my neck of the desert, folks put fries in their burritos, so I probably can't talk.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:10 pm

My very favorite food is good food, and it has also been my experience that mild barley drinks seem to make a lot of good food even better. And hard cactus related drinks are excellent with Mexican food. And vitamin ThC makes good food great and bad food terrible.

Other things I've learned in my 50+ years... Cows who eat grass do taste better than cows who eat grains.

Home grown or fresh grown tomatoes and chilies can't be beat, but home grown carrots and corn aren't really worth it.

Green chili works with almost everything, and if it doesn't work with something, then chocolate will work with that thing, so if you have green chili and you have chocolate, you're probably gonna be ok.

It is impossible to buy salsa from a store that beats what you can make yourself, but for some reason I keep trying because I'm lazy.

If you must buy tortillas that were made in the USA better make sure it was a Mexican who made them.

There is not such a thing as a great Mexican food restaurant in Utah.

Fry sauce is for restaurants that do not know how to make fries.

If you can't see a large body of water from your restaurant, don't expect the seafood to be very good.

And finally, store bought Apples today taste a helluva lot better than they did when I was a kid. But that's about the only fruit that does. Good job, apple farmers. Peach farmers? WTH, dudes, figure it out.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:55 am

alas wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:49 am
Like Doritos came out brand new when I was just pregnant with my first child, who is now almost 50. I threw up my first taste of Doritos and I still cannot eat Doritos.
Like when you have a nice slice of German chocolate cake with sardines and pickles and suddenly have an urge to add a few sliced tomatoes. A whole year can pass without another desire for cake. Must be something with pregnancy.

;)

BTW, I remember that my mom mentioned she craved sardines and pickles when she was pregnant with me. As a baby, I apparently loved Gerber's sweet potatoes. Back then baby food came in cans.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:10 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:10 pm
My very favorite food is good food, and it has also been my experience that mild barley drinks seem to make a lot of good food even better. And hard cactus related drinks are excellent with Mexican food. And vitamin ThC makes good food great and bad food terrible.

Other things I've learned in my 50+ years... Cows who eat grass do taste better than cows who eat grains.

Home grown or fresh grown tomatoes and chilies can't be beat, but home grown carrots and corn aren't really worth it.

Green chili works with almost everything, and if it doesn't work with something, then chocolate will work with that thing, so if you have green chili and you have chocolate, you're probably gonna be ok.

It is impossible to buy salsa from a store that beats what you can make yourself, but for some reason I keep trying because I'm lazy.

If you must buy tortillas that were made in the USA better make sure it was a Mexican who made them.

There is not such a thing as a great Mexican food restaurant in Utah.

Fry sauce is for restaurants that do not know how to make fries.

If you can't see a large body of water from your restaurant, don't expect the seafood to be very good.

And finally, store bought Apples today taste a helluva lot better than they did when I was a kid. But that's about the only fruit that does. Good job, apple farmers. Peach farmers? WTH, dudes, figure it out.
The problem with tortillas in the US is health conscious yuppies don’t want them made with lard. Our favorite Mexican restaurant in Utah is run by Mexicans, and we are friends with the owners wife, who complains about trying to please Americans with good Mexican food when they are picky about what goes into the food. She says that is why she can’t serve good tortillas in the store, customers don’t want them made with lard.

When we moved from San Antonio to Utah, our kids whined about “Gringo tortillas” and we about had a rebellion on our hands. Our middle child is on the autism spectrum and they frequently have…um…eating disorders. As in will eat nothing but spaghetti and chili (our grandson as a small child) or buttered tortillas (our daughter as a small child) so, our daughter has this hysterical melt down over the tortillas don’t feel right in her mouth.

Speaking of fry sauce, if you go to an In and Out burger place, don’t ask for fry sauce. They give you Thousand Island dressing. Just ask for Mayo and catsup and stir the two together. Besides, their fries are good naked.

If you are used to Tex-Mex, don’t ever get Mexican in California. Not the same. I have learned to ask to taste the sauce because Californian Mexican likes sweet hot sauce. Who the hell puts sugar in pico and hot sauce.

Oh, and moksha, the bait shyness thing with getting a new food and then throwing up, has nothing to do with pregnancy cravings. Just why I threw them up. I have a friend who was given pistachio ice cream after he had his tonsils out and it was too soon after the anesthesia wore off for him to eat anything and he got violently ill. 60 years later and he still can’t eat anything with pistachios. It is an instinct to warn you away from poisons.

Me, I never craved anything weird during any pregnancy.

stuck

Post by stuck » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:32 pm

Steak, mashed potatoes and chocolate sin cake at Ruth's Chris steakhouse

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:05 am

Makes you want to load up the kids in the SUV and drive to Bangkok for some pad Thai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esi7zmmS-H4
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:30 am

Fried Chicken? This YouTube English gourmet thinks he has hit upon a winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puklOBn9n-8
-- Moksha

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:42 am

Yes, Ma'am, the tortillas need to be made with lard. I'm fortunately able to buy them made in Mexico, where they have no qualms about using lard to make tortillas.

I'm sure there's good Mexican food in many US states, but so far the best mex joints I've ever found are in southern Arizona and New Mexico. Someone once told me that a mexfood place on the SA Riverwalk was amazing, but i found it very average. Texas has some of the best bbq places, however, imo.

Tex-Mex is one of the coolest sounding cultural food names, but I've never been able to pin down exactly what it means, or what it doesn't mean, and maybe it's because Texas is just too damned big and no one has settled on what type of Texas food is mixed with Mexican food to get Tex Mex, or how long a Mexican has to live in Texas to call her food Tex Mex, or if it's mostly gulf Texas fish mexicanized, or panhandle long horns grilled into asada, or just some bbq sauce poured over a taco. I've just never been able to figure it out.

alas

Post by alas » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:41 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:42 am
Yes, Ma'am, the tortillas need to be made with lard. I'm fortunately able to buy them made in Mexico, where they have no qualms about using lard to make tortillas.

I'm sure there's good Mexican food in many US states, but so far the best mex joints I've ever found are in southern Arizona and New Mexico. Someone once told me that a mexfood place on the SA Riverwalk was amazing, but i found it very average. Texas has some of the best bbq places, however, imo.

Tex-Mex is one of the coolest sounding cultural food names, but I've never been able to pin down exactly what it means, or what it doesn't mean, and maybe it's because Texas is just too damned big and no one has settled on what type of Texas food is mixed with Mexican food to get Tex Mex, or how long a Mexican has to live in Texas to call her food Tex Mex, or if it's mostly gulf Texas fish mexicanized, or panhandle long horns grilled into asada, or just some bbq sauce poured over a taco. I've just never been able to figure it out.
No, a place on the river walk in San Antonio would not have good Mexican, but be aimed at tourists. I don’t have to try the food to tell you that. I lived in San Antonio for three years and can tell you where the locals don’t go, the River Walk. No, if you want good Mexican, find some family owned hole in the wall where the menu is in Spanish and the waitress can’t translate it for you. We found a place like that in California. As a native Hawaiian just explained to my sister in law, “what is produced for tourists isn’t authentic” as she explained her problem with the Polynesian Cultural Center.

By definition, Tex-Mex is what you find in San Antonio. But then I might prejudiced. ;)

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:56 pm

Makes sense.

Though I've had some great steak and good bbq on the river walk.. and fun German food.

The best green chili chimichangas I ever had were 7 miles north of the border at a little Mom and Pop taqueria where Ma cooked and Pa took the cash, only cash, and everything was homemade and only one English word was needed.

The transactions were simple.

I'd walk in. Pa would ask, "same?"
I'd say, "same, por favor"
Pa would yell to Ma, "chimi verde por aqui!"

Gracias.

Too bad the place is no longer there.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:48 pm

I had a past food memory pop into consciousness: Mr. Jim's Rib Shack on Vermont Avenue in Los Angeles. It was limited in that they only had BBQ beef ribs, brisket, and sausage, but it was wonderful.
-- Moksha

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:30 am

I love those places that focus on doing two or three things really well, rather than those restaurants that try to do everything... and have menus the size of chapter books.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:05 am

These cooking preparation methods are incredible to make a good American BBQ sandwich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QeUTFgdM7Y

Have your young missionaries stop by for a sandwich when they are in Gangnam, Seoul South Korea.
BBQ Gangnam Style.
-- Moksha

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Shhhhhhhh, it might be cancelled soon......

Beef Stroganov, homemade
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:16 am

Zelph on a Stick

1 - bag of chicken fingers
1 - bottle Korean Gochujang sauce or paste
2 - Tbl soy sauce
2 - Tbl sesame oil
1 - Tbl vinegar

Mix ingredients in a bowl. Add chicken and coat thoroughly. Cover and let refrigerate overnight. Place skewers through the chicken. Mix up a bit more sauce. Place skewers on the grill with wood or metal portions off the grill. Coat with more sauce as needed and cook till done.

Enjoy your Zelph.

Beef Stroganov, homemade
I agree with Meilingkie about wonderful Beef Stroganov. Swedish meatballs too served over egg noodles. Scandinavians like to serve these meatballs with lingonberries, but North Americans can easily substitute cranberries.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:17 am

When going to Asian restaurants, Saintly members may encounter a dish called "drunken noodles". Depending on their degree of orthodoxy, these Saints may skip over this item for fear it will be against the Word of Wisdom regarding alcohol consumption.

Rest your holy fears, "Drunken Noodles" do not contain alcohol. The name comes from the sauce coating the noodles.
-- Moksha

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:18 pm

If you're ever in the tiny little hamlet of Boulder, Utah be sure to eat at Hell's Backbone Grill. Perhaps my favorite restaurant in Utah in one of the best places anywhere.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:09 pm

The cheeseburger at Ray's Tavern in Green River, UT. I plan my trips around it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."