Masks or prayers?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

Masks or prayers?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:10 am

Mike Pence stood in for Donald Trump after a two month hiatus from White House coronavirus briefings. He did not wear a mask, nor did he mention the use of masks even once. His advice, four times, was to pray. What are we to make of this?

Even if you accept prayer as a positive deterrent to the virus, why not also take physical precautions? But then we're talking about an administration that blames testing for the rise in cases and is working to defund testing at the federal level.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: Masks or prayers?

Post by moksha » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:25 pm

Yeah, Trump is ending funding for coronavirus testing on June 30. It is his jumbled thinking way of making the contagion go away at a time when reported cases are the highest. No more reports then the problem is solved, right?

I suspect even blind, deaf, and dumb kid Tommy can smell a rat (besides being a pinball wizard).
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:10 am
Even if you accept prayer as a positive deterrent to the virus, why not also take physical precautions? But then we're talking about an administration that blames testing for the rise in cases and is working to defund testing at the federal level.
Well. The "prayers" of the folks from New Zealand seem to be working.

Or... New Zealand has some actual folks who know how to lead in their country, and they took a science-based approach to fighting the virus, and actually listened to public healthcare officials, and healthcare professionals, and that worked.

Yeah, I"m going to put my vote with option number two.

Never in my lifetime have I really thought about relocating to a different country. This pandemic thing actually has me wondering if I should change those thoughts.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:12 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:26 pm
Well. The "prayers" of the folks from New Zealand seem to be working.

Or... New Zealand has some actual folks who know how to lead in their country, and they took a science-based approach to fighting the virus, and actually listened to public healthcare officials, and healthcare professionals, and that worked.

Yeah, I"m going to put my vote with option number two.

Never in my lifetime have I really thought about relocating to a different country. This pandemic thing actually has me wondering if I should change those thoughts.
The US is lead by a mock Christian who lies incessantly and shows no regard for the lives of his people. New Zealand is lead by an ex-Mormon apostate.

Question: given those two data points how many conservative Mormons would still choose the former over the latter?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:45 pm

Reminds me of the joke about the guy on his roof during a flood who prays for deliverance from the flood.

Mike Pence Has experts and doctors around him who tell him to social distance and to wear a face Mask, but Mike has faith that God will protect him. Mike dies of Covid and meets up with God.

Mike: Lord, why didn’t you save me from Covid after I prayed for protection?

God: But Mike, I sent you doctors who told you about social distancing and wearing face masks.