Guns

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Hagoth

Guns

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:23 am

My son decided to buy an AK-47 as an investment since he heard they're selling like hotcakes. He's been scouring the websites that sell those kinds of weapons and says ALL guns have recently sold out everywhere. I find that very disturbing.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Guns

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:06 pm

Hagoth wrote:My son decided to buy an AK-47 as an investment since he heard they're selling like hotcakes. He's been scouring the websites that sell those kinds of weapons and says ALL guns have recently sold out everywhere. I find that very disturbing.
It's simply fear based economics, the same shortages happen anytime a democrat is bound to come into office with the threat of new restrictions. As soon as the fear subsides, availability returns and prices drop again. Your son will end up buying at a high price right now and lose money when the fear ebbs again. Although guns are durable goods and tend to last almost forever if unused. He may be better off buying airline and cruise line and hotel stocks as those will be cheap right now and go high when Covid subsides.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:46 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:06 pm
He may be better off buying airline and cruise line and hotel stocks as those will be cheap right now and go high when Covid subsides.
I totally agree. More likely he will have moved on to other interests by then.

Nothing is better for the gun/ammo industry than the fantasy that the Democrats are coming to take them from you. I have a friend who even built and underground vault in his back yard so he have to deal with Obama prying his guns from his cold, dead fingers.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:36 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:23 am
My son decided to buy an AK-47 as an investment since he heard they're selling like hotcakes. He's been scouring the websites that sell those kinds of weapons and says ALL guns have recently sold out everywhere. I find that very disturbing.

First rule of investing: Buy when no one else is buying, sell when everyone is buying. Now is the wrong time to buy guns if you want to invest with it. Prices are already high, meaning that once the wold settles down, demand will go down and so will prices.

Demand has already peaked. There really is only one place for it to go now and that is down. Unless you can buy and quickly flip it, such an investment is going to loose money. I don't think you can short sell something like a fine arm.

If anything, I would expect a minor crash in the price of firearms over the next few months. Everyone will have bought what they wanted and many will not see the need for more for a while. Supply will be high and demand low. That will be the time to buy.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:14 am

I am very disappointed that guns are now becoming a standard component of Black Lives Matter demonstrations. I fear that some more really bad things are going to happen.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:13 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:14 am
I am very disappointed that guns are now becoming a standard component of Black Lives Matter demonstrations. I fear that some more really bad things are going to happen.
It's just Darwinism trying to do it's thing. Monkeys killing monkeys killing monkeys. So many big red buttons that say "Don't Push". The military industrial complexes should just relabel those big read buttons:

Then it would line up more with the big cosmic joke of this tiny little blue speck.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:08 pm

I have a friend who bought a few AR-15’s right before Obama was president on the fear noted above. He held and sold a few of them but not really the gold at the end of the rainbow he had in mind.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg