Weird Facebook Ads

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Post Reply
User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Weird Facebook Ads

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:27 pm

I have been getting weird ads on Facebook.

Should I become a Catholic Priest?
Study the Talmud with Jewish priests.
Join Scientology.

WTF? Maybe Facebook doesn't know me as well as they think they do.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: Weird Facebook Ads

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:10 pm

Could the two heads of Zaphod Beeblebrox be confusing their algorithms?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
SaidNobody
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:03 am

Re: Weird Facebook Ads

Post by SaidNobody » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:48 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:27 pm
I have been getting weird ads on Facebook.

Should I become a Catholic Priest?
Study the Talmud with Jewish priests.
Join Scientology.

WTF? Maybe Facebook doesn't know me as well as they think they do.
Scientology was good fun...... For a while, if you don't have any money.

You must have increased your religious browsing.

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: Weird Facebook Ads

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:54 am

If anything, my religious browsing is down due to unfriending and snoozing people with their #give thanks stuff. I make a deliberate effort to keep religion to a minimum. Other than the occasional Christian post from people I am friends with, the only religion I activly follow is Sam Young and Bill Reel.

SO their algorythems are not the most intelligent ones out there.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
SaidNobody
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:03 am

Re: Weird Facebook Ads

Post by SaidNobody » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:10 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:54 am
If anything, my religious browsing is down due to unfriending and snoozing people with their #give thanks stuff. I make a deliberate effort to keep religion to a minimum. Other than the occasional Christian post from people I am friends with, the only religion I activly follow is Sam Young and Bill Reel.

SO their algorythems are not the most intelligent ones out there.
That is odd. We were just joking about how sometimes you're talking to someone about something and you open up your phone and there is an ad for it.

The only other thing I can think of is that Facebook and I think Twitter do engage in heavy profiling of people. and that may be because of some demographic that you have, based on location or gender or something like that, someone in your area and maybe trying to Target you as a potential customer. Probably one in a thousand ads I might actually stop and look at. I couldn't really name the theme of the type of ads I get cuz I don't pay attention enough.

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 2922
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: Weird Facebook Ads

Post by wtfluff » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:39 am

You've broken the Matrix Zaphod!

Please research/figure out your secret methods and share with the rest of us mere mortals. :P
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it -Václav Havel

The Beauty of Gray

User avatar
Red Ryder
Posts: 2994
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Weird Facebook Ads

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:56 am

You Unfriended mormons so it was suggesting equally strange replacement religion.

Got Scientology right!
Those who do not move do not notice their chains. —Rosa Luxemburg

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: Weird Facebook Ads

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:56 am
You unfriended Mormons so it was suggesting an equally strange replacement religion.

Got Scientology right!
The Beliefnet religious quiz always placed Mormonism closest to the Jehovah's Witnesses in terms of faith claims and beliefs. One of my favorite posters from back when, Cinepro, thought of Scientology as the canary in the mine for Mormonism. Scientology has made some extraordinary claims.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
Red Ryder
Posts: 2994
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Weird Facebook Ads

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:18 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:22 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:56 am
You unfriended Mormons so it was suggesting an equally strange replacement religion.

Got Scientology right!
The Beliefnet religious quiz always placed Mormonism closest to the Jehovah's Witnesses in terms of faith claims and beliefs. One of my favorite posters from back when, Cinepro, thought of Scientology as the canary in the mine for Mormonism. Scientology has made some extraordinary claims.
I remember that. Love reading Cinepro’s posts.
Those who do not move do not notice their chains. —Rosa Luxemburg

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests