US Space Force - safe for my raccoon?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
River Morgan2

US Space Force - safe for my raccoon?

Post by River Morgan2 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:42 am

We have Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and ... wait for it ... Guardians.

Pence has announced that the members of the United States Space Force will be called Guardians. Yes, we have Guardians of the Galaxy. You can't make this stuff up.

River
Every time you find humor in a difficult situation, you win. -Snoopy

River Morgan2

Re: US Space Force - safe for my raccoon?

Post by River Morgan2 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:29 pm

One of my friends said the Space Force motto is going to be, "I am Groot."

River

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:13 am

Didn't Giuliani's Russian-Ukrainian associates Lev and Igor enter a plea of "I am Groot"?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:47 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:13 am
Didn't Giuliani's Russian-Ukrainian associates Lev and Igor enter a plea of "I am Groot"?
😂

Well, if they didn't, they should have. 😁

River

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:29 pm

River Morgan2 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:42 am
We have Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and ... wait for it ... Guardians.

Pence has announced that the members of the United States Space Force will be called Guardians. Yes, we have Guardians of the Galaxy. You can't make this stuff up.

River
Imagine being a caveman, about 80,000 years ago.

No transistors, no rocket fuel, no jet travel, no one had been to the moon.

Could you even conceive what we do today? The idea of a switch (transistor) is so simple it's almost stupid. But we couldn't even build one until a few thousand years ago. But one the carried electricity? That is straight up black magic! But now we make trillions of switches go with mind numbing speed.

I am beginning to suspect that belief actually changes the universe. As we extract exotic materials out of what seemed so simple as to be sand, we change the very nature of existence.

Guardians of Galaxies might laughable now, but they're were laughing 120 years ago at men that thought to make machines that fly.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:39 pm

SaidNobody wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:29 pm
I am beginning to suspect that belief actually changes the universe. As we extract exotic materials out of what seemed so simple as to be sand, we change the very nature of existence.

There actually is some truth to that. Our way of think to some degree shapes the world around us.

If you are interested in history, historian James Burke make a program for the BBC that examined this idea. He looks at how the evolution of technology caused our view of the world to change. it's called The Day the Universe Changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ6XFcrh7IQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq1YvlBnubQ
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:18 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:39 pm
SaidNobody wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:29 pm

There actually is some truth to that. Our way of think to some degree shapes the world around us.

If you are interested in history, historian James Burke make a program for the BBC that examined this idea. He looks at how the evolution of technology caused our view of the world to change. it's called The Day the Universe Changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ6XFcrh7IQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq1YvlBnubQ
I agree with that position. That by changing our beliefs and changing our behavior we also change the world. In other words, we build bigger and bigger things, anything from forts and castles to rockets and space stations.

But there is a mystery that quantum mechanics is still trying to solve. I forget exactly the technical term, but the two slit photon experiment were they shoot photons through two slits in a barrier. By watching this experiment it changes the result. Not watching causes a more random scatter of particles against the backstop. By someone watching, even through a camera 3000 mi away, the photons take a tighter position.

This is a wild proposition on my part, but not only does observing matter but the observer matters. A dog might be watching the experiment and I don't know if that would have a different result or not. I have not gotten into all of the research but they do everything from a single observer to groups of meditators observing merely through thought and not even through cameras. In other words, by merely thinking about it. It all has an effect.

But more importantly, the attitude by which we observe the universe does seem to literally change how it works. Someone who is always negative always seems to get a negative result from their efforts. While people who try to be positive usually get a more positive result. Mojo matters.

By simply observing an event with a different spirit changes the impact and the effect that event has. Not just through its efforts through you but somehow in the universe at large.

Standing quietly and observing a beautiful sunset seems to do something for the universe. You give it a gift that it might not otherwise have.