Happy Solstice!

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
wtfluff

Happy Solstice!

Post by wtfluff » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:30 pm

Happy Winter Solstice to all the NOM-Type folks (In the Northern Hemisphere - Happy Summer to you Southerners.)

May you have an enjoyable day, whether you're celebrating Yuletide, Saturnalia, Brumalia, Sanghamitta Day, or if you're just celebrating that our tiny rotating 'blue' sphere is tilted at 23.5°.

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

River Morgan2

Re: Happy Solstice!

Post by River Morgan2 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:50 pm

👏👏👏

The pagan part of my heart thanks you! 😉

River
Every time you find humor in a difficult situation, you win. -Snoopy

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:21 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:30 pm
Happy Winter Solstice to all the NOM-Type folks (In the Northern Hemisphere - Happy Summer to you Southerners.)

May you have an enjoyable day, whether you're celebrating Yuletide, Saturnalia, Brumalia, Sanghamitta Day, or if you're just celebrating that our tiny rotating 'blue' sphere is tilted at 23.5°.

Happy Solstice! I'm always so glad the sun comes back.

There's also this:

https://www.sciencealert.com/early-huma ... ng-winters

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:38 pm

Saturnalia was traditionally held between December 17-23. We now regard December 23rd as Smithmas.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:32 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:38 pm
Saturnalia was traditionally held between December 17-23. We now regard December 23rd as Smithmas.
Well played! 👏

alas

Post by alas » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:14 am

Hey, if you buy an advent calendar the day after Christmas, it will count down to Inauguration Day. More important than Christmas in my book. And you should be able to buy them on sale.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:25 am

If any of you happen to watch a TV program on PBS called Lucy Worsley's Twelve Days of Tudor Christmas, it will fill you in on how our present Christmas developed. It would be fun to attend one of those gala parties over 500 years ago and bring a large bag of mixed chocolates - you would be the king/queen of the party. I would probably allow myself a flagon of mead.

https://www.pbs.org/video/lucy-worsleys ... as-fir5kn/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:53 am

I used to decorate a Solstice tree instead of a Christmas tree, and we did a solstice ceremony that involved precursor origins of modern Christmas traditions. Great fun. Gotta put the soul cakes on the hearth to appease the ancient spirits that will be coming down the chimney, you know.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:08 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:53 am
I used to decorate a Solstice tree instead of a Christmas tree, and we did a solstice ceremony that involved precursor origins of modern Christmas traditions. Great fun. Gotta put the soul cakes on the hearth to appease the ancient spirits that will be coming down the chimney, you know.
Sounds so fun! Have you ever celebrated any other days in the wheel of the year?

I have read extensively and even planned a couple of celebrations but they both just fell through the cracks.

River

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:07 pm

River Morgan2 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:08 am
Sounds so fun! Have you ever celebrated any other days in the wheel of the year?
Not really, although equinox is my favorite word.

I have a friend whose family celebrates Catherine of Aragon beheading day in February because they think we need a holiday at that time of year but they don't like Valentine's Day.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

alas

Post by alas » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:07 pm
River Morgan2 wrote:

I have a friend whose family celebrates Catherine of Aragon beheading day in February because they think we need a holiday at that time of year but they don't like Valentine's Day.
Just a small correction. It wasn’t Catherine of Aragon who was beheaded, but Henry’s second wife, Anne Bolin. Catherine died in exile, just before Anne’s still born son was born. King Henry caused the revolution and became Protestant and declared himself head of the Church of England in order to annul his marriage to Catherine, but he didn’t have her executed. I am not sure if Anne’s beheading was in February

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:07 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:07 pm
River Morgan2 wrote:

They should look at Imbolc then. Some people call it Candlemas. It's an old Celtic holiday celebrated on February 2, halfway between the winter and spring equinoxes. It's to celebrate life returning to the Earth from the long winter. And is the origin of our Groundhog Day!
😊
River

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:55 pm

alas wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:58 pm
Just a small correction. It wasn’t Catherine of Aragon who was beheaded, but Henry’s second wife, Anne Bolin. Catherine died in exile, just before Anne’s still born son was born. King Henry caused the revolution and became Protestant and declared himself head of the Church of England in order to annul his marriage to Catherine, but he didn’t have her executed. I am not sure if Anne’s beheading was in February
You're right! Looks like Bolin was beheaded in May. I've been fake newsed!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:57 pm

River Morgan2 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:07 pm
They should look at Imbolc then. Some people call it Candlemas. It's an old Celtic holiday celebrated on February 2, halfway between the winter and spring equinoxes. It's to celebrate life returning to the Earth from the long winter. And is the origin of our Groundhog Day!
😊
River
I confuse it with that day when Jesus comes out of the tomb and sees his shadow.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:09 am

After both Christmas and the season of Epiphany, the end of the Christmas celebrations come on February 2nd, 40 days after Christmas, with Candlemas.

Imbolc has been widely observed throughout Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man.

The Trump forces from outer darkness have suggested a "re-doesies" on the election after Punxsutawney Phil emerges from his burrow. Ironically, Punxsutawney Phil has maintained a non-political stance for years.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:09 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:55 pm
alas wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:58 pm
You're right! Looks like Bolin was beheaded in May. I've been fake newsed!
You should get your education from Netflix. (actually, The Tudors was a really good series with both fact, embellished fact-so not really fact, and fiction). I was always pretty weak in history, so had to investigate truth from fiction. I do recommend the series to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Happy after Solstice!! I was disappointed in the cloud cover, but at least daylight will be getting longer.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:30 am

Jethro Tull has an awesome Solstice carol:
https://youtu.be/1ShwcA8KkkM