Do you think Abraham ever visited the brewery to enjoy a pint?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
wtfluff

Do you think Abraham ever visited the brewery to enjoy a pint?

Post by wtfluff » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:47 pm

Of course I'm referring to Joseph's "version" of Abraham. Joseph enjoyed the mild barley drinks, why wouldn't Joseph's version of Abraham do so also?

Archaeologists discover ancient beer factory in Egypt
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Re: Do you think Abraham ever visited the brewery to enjoy a pint?

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:11 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:47 pm
Of course, I'm referring to Joseph's "version" of Abraham. Joseph enjoyed the mild barley drinks, why wouldn't Joseph's version of Abraham do so also?

Archaeologists discover ancient beer factory in Egypt
Archeologists at BYU might argue that this so-called "beer" was converted to Dr. Pepper by Abraham. This LDS team of Archeologists, lead by Professor Kerry Muhlestein, will further demonstrate that Abraham had his served with a plate of sugar cookies, just like they do at BYU.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:57 am

Apparently beer was an important food in the Ancient Near East (although, like most things, the Chinese appear to have had it first), so Abraham would undoubtedly have been a partaker. I have read claims that beer was possibly the most important product of the ancient world in setting up our modern concept of commerce. It may have been the first instance of people from a wide variety of disciplines coming together to produce a single product. It required irrigated agriculture for grain, grapes for yeast, brewing facilities, ceramic containers, storage, merchants and traders, etc. Ancient beer was probably thick and soupy or possibly even spongy, like soggy bread. Best of all, it was self-preserving so it stored well.

Coffee, by comparison, didn't show up until the first millennium BC. Daniel, Ezekiel, and Jeremiah would likely have been coffee men.

Cannabis was definitely used heavily in temples, and presumably Israelite ceremonies, during Old Testament times. Frankincense and Myrrh both have psychedelic properties, especially when mixed with other substance specified for in the Bible for anointing oils. High times for the priests of Israel!

ETA: the Book of Mormon mentions wine several times. The ancient Americans didn't have wine, but they did have various types of beer. Yet the BoM never mentions beer.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:20 am

When it says "wine" in the BofM it really means grape juice because we know wine is bad and back then wine was really grape juice.

Well, what about those times the BofM talks about people getting drunk on this "grape juice"?

Oh that was really beer because they didn't have wine in the ancient Americas yet.

Why didn't Joseph just say beer?

He didn't want to confuse anyone into thinking it was ok to drink beer.

Just call it barley juice.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:38 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:20 am
Well, what about those times the BofM talks about people getting drunk on this "grape juice"?
It's like when you meet a BYU co-ed and offer her a ginger beer (but fail to mention there is no alcohol in ginger beer). Pretty soon she starts acting loopy and all that... concord grape juice may have been like that for the Nephites. Just remember to keep your daughters away from the Welch's Grape Juice factory.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:01 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:38 am
Cnsl1 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:20 am
It's like when you meet a BYU co-ed and offer her a ginger beer (but fail to mention there is no alcohol in ginger beer). Pretty soon she starts acting loopy and all that... concord grape juice may have been like that for the Nephites. Just remember to keep your daughters away from the Welch's Grape Juice factory.
It's that same grape juice, made by the nephites, that put the lamanites to sleep, so the nephites could escape their captors. Just add a little melatonin and bam! You free! Now, if only that worked in our modern times to get out of talking in sacrament meeting or cleaning the chapel.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Just like Jesus changed water into wine, I mean grape juice, we know that Abraham would have changed any alcohol served to him back into water. It's like Chiasmus for the Word of Wisdom!

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:21 am

Yes, without question. So did brother Joseph.
~2bizE