Sun Dance Operah

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Angel

Sun Dance Operah

Post by Angel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 pm

https://wams.nyhistory.org/modernizing- ... itkala-sa/

Saw the note on Google commemorating Zitkala-Sa today, anyone here know more to her story? Was it LDS missionaries who took her and cut her hair off?
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Re: Sun Dance Operah

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:26 pm

I just read that article yesterday after Zitkala-Sa was featured on the Google doodle. She worked as a teacher at a Utah Amerindian Reservation school. I don't think she was ever captured by Mormon missionaries during their raiding parties.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:19 pm

She married William Hanson, a music professor at Brigham Young University, spent time in Utah, seems like she would have crossed the church at some point. Thanks!
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:28 pm

I pretty sure she was married to Raymond Bonnin.

She worked with William Hanson, but was never married to him.