Quoting each other, is it getting worse?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Lucidity

Quoting each other, is it getting worse?

Post by Lucidity » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:31 am

I was in the unfortunate situation Saturday of hearing most of the Priesthood Session of GC. It’s been a number of years since I tuned in, and what struck me most was the sheer amount of quoting other living members of the Q15. The language was also structured to make it sound older, I assume to give it more authority and weight. They would use “President Eyring taught” instead of the present “President Eyeing teaches”. This is happening left and right while the guy being quoted is 20 for away.

So my question do we have any numbers on how much more often this is happening now than say 20yrs ago? That would be very interesting. Why do you think this is now a thing?

I remember quotes being mainly of dead general authorities and god forbid the occasional scripture. Heck I miss Maxwell who had the audacity to actually quote non-Mormons in GC.

Hagoth

Re: Quoting each other, is it getting worse?

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:06 pm

I've just been sort of drifting in and out of conference (wife has it playing in the other room) and the main thing I have noticed is that EVERYONE spends part of their talk praising and doting on Russell Nelson, and quoting him. It almost feels like they have a contractual obligation to make a demonstration of handing over their testicles (or ovaries as the case may be) to him. Even my wife thought it was weird. "He's sitting right there, why do they keep quoting him like he's dead?"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Lucidity

Post by Lucidity » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:12 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:06 pm
It almost feels like they have a contractual obligation to make a demonstration
It's very weird. I wonder if I was a still a TBM if I would notice this and how much it would bother me. It stands out like a sore thumb to me now and honestly I feel like its a bad look from just a missionary standpoint. I served in the bible belt and convincing people that we worshiped Jesus and not Joseph Smith or Gordon Hinckley was something battled. This would've made our lives more difficult.

Plus the gaslighting is rough. These guys do the most basic thing that a small town mayor does and you'd think they just spearheaded the Manhattan Project. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:07 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:06 pm
I've just been sort of drifting in and out of conference (wife has it playing in the other room) and the main thing I have noticed is that EVERYONE spends part of their talk praising and doting on Russell Nelson, and quoting him. It almost feels like they have a contractual obligation to make a demonstration of handing over their testicles (or ovaries as the case may be) to him. Even my wife thought it was weird. "He's sitting right there, why do they keep quoting him like he's dead?"
Maybe he is.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:14 pm

This post reminds me of Lucidity who once taught that he served in the bible belt and convinced people that we worshiped Jesus and not Joseph Smith or Gordon Hinckley.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:26 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:14 pm
This post reminds me of Lucidity who once taught that he served in the bible belt and convinced people that we worshiped Jesus and not Joseph Smith or Gordon Hinckley.
"Worship," like "translate" is a very flexible word.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."