Truthiness

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
deacon blues

Truthiness

Post by deacon blues » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 am

Read a new word (for me) today. It's in the dictionary, and Wikipedia. Apparently Steve Colbert made it up in 2005. And it describes LDS epistemology quite well. I believe I will be using it more in the future.

Truthiness: the belief or assertion that a particular statement is true based on the intuition or perceptions of some individual or individuals, without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts. Truthiness can range from ignorant assertions of falsehoods to deliberate duplicity or propaganda intended to sway opinions.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Corsair

Re: Truthiness

Post by Corsair » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:29 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 am
Read a new word (for me) today. It's in the dictionary, and Wikipedia. Apparently Steve Colbert made it up in 2005. And it describes LDS epistemology quite well. I believe I will be using it more in the future.
Truthiness is as good of a word as any for most of LDS theology. Because epistemology, exegesis, and historical criticism do not appear to be part of LDS theology.