Mormon Transhumanist Association

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Bonfire

Mormon Transhumanist Association

Post by Bonfire » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:38 am

Since finding new order mormon and the loving members of this community ten years ago while on my mission I have continued my pursuit of understanding faith and God. The Mormon Transhumanist Association has helped broaden my horizons, along with the LDS/Mormon Anarchist communities.

Without faith and hope for a better future I become depressed and lethargic. The belief that Jesus Christ has already come and died for our sins allows me to overcome my shortfalls without feeling I need to be punished to death for my mistakes or any mistakes others might make because of my example. In times of struggle I have found relief in the Book of Mormon and I believe that Joseph Smith was inspired by God to help those around him.
“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; “For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him” (D&C 18:10–11).

Zeezrom

Re: Mormon Transhumanist Association

Post by Zeezrom » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:04 pm

Looks very ambiguous in its beliefs…sorry to nit pick. Serious question though is how does a group strongly linking itself and exaltation to science and technology reconcile this with its belief in scriptures brought forth by a prophet that contradict everything we know from a scientific perspective on the history of the earth and the history of civilization by humankind??

Bonfire

Post by Bonfire » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Zeezrom wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:04 pm
Looks very ambiguous in its beliefs…sorry to nit pick. Serious question though is how does a group strongly linking itself and exaltation to science and technology reconcile this with its belief in scriptures brought forth by a prophet that contradict everything we know from a scientific perspective on the history of the earth and the history of civilization by humankind??
Have you become acquainted with the Book of Mormon Musical on Broadway? Or perhaps read QB vii regarding Adam Kelno's stay in primitive Malaysia?
To improve the lives of people all over the world we must often forego science and provable truth to better reach a level of understanding with those we communicate, such as through works of well-intended historical fiction or works of moral archetypes -- which very well may be one and the same.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
https://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; “For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him” (D&C 18:10–11).

Zeezrom

Post by Zeezrom » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:16 pm

I get your point and it’s well taken. My personal preference is to have no association with the word “Mormon” due to the damage it caused to me personally and my family. Again this is just my personal opinion and whatever works for you works for you—but I think there are no universal truths contained in the umbrella of Mormonism that can’t be found outside it in any number of more innocuous belief systems. Mormonism was somewhat intentionally set up by its founder to be an all or nothing belief system with little to no middle ground. Those who have performed the mental acrobatics to find a more nuanced belief system that includes Mormonism have more flexible mental muscles than me I freely admit

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Did the Mormon Transhumanists feel offended when the Interpreter ran that attack article on the Association?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:26 am

As long as you're looking to broaden your horizons within Mormonism, here's a fascinating group of Mormons/Post Mormons:
https://www.thedivineassembly.org/
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Zeezrom

Post by Zeezrom » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:52 pm

Hagoth - Have tried psilocybin but was disappointed that no religious experience came. Was about as useful as prayer and fasting ;-). Felt good though