Mormon Plan for Polynesian Empire

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
moksha

Mormon Plan for Polynesian Empire

Post by moksha » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:26 am

Always difficult to know where to put topics. Clearly, this is not doctrinal nor is it a call for support. Creating a Mormon Empire in Polynesia seems political, and I've been told that the Coffee Shop is the place for politics since who among the faithful would be caught dead in a Coffee Shop?

Anyway, if any near-apostates wish to learn more about the 19th Century plans for a Mormon Empire in Polynesia, here is a fascinating short documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5H-1I ... A&index=14
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Re: Mormon Plan for Polynesian Empire

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:20 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:26 am
Always difficult to know where to put topics. Clearly, this is not doctrinal nor is it a call for support. Creating a Mormon Empire in Polynesia seems political, and I've been told that the Coffee Shop is the place for politics since who among the faithful would be caught dead in a Coffee Shop?

Anyway, if any near-apostates wish to learn more about the 19th Century plans for a Mormon Empire in Polynesia, here is a fascinating short documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5H-1I ... A&index=14

Did the plans in your post happen before or after Iosepa, Dear Penguin?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:29 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:20 am
Did the plans in your post happen before or after Iosepa, Dear Penguin?
The ill-fated Iosepa was after. One of the families that remained had really pretty great-granddaughters.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:18 am

I can't help but wonder if this had something to do with the claim, starting with Brigham Young, that the Polynesians are descendants of Book of Mormon peoples; a way to claim ideological ownership of those people and their lands in the hopes that it would sway them in the desired political direction.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."