Things to See in the SLC Area?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Ghost

Things to See in the SLC Area?

Post by Ghost » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:07 pm

I'm visiting the SLC area this month. I've been there once before, a few years ago. On that trip, I made sure to see the Joseph Smith Sphinx (Gilgal Sculpture Garden). I know Utah has some nice national parks, and I might try to catch one or two of those. If anyone familiar with the SLC area has other recommendations, please let me know.

moksha

Re: Things to See in the SLC Area?

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:01 pm

The Red Butte Gardens can be fun if you make it on a day when the pavement is not melting. Kids always like Lagoon. Taking the tram up to the top of Snowbird is fun.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:08 am

Right now, I vote for air conditioned rather than places where you will melt like Lagoon. There is a nice aquarium called Loveland Living Planet aquarium in Draper and a Dino museum at Thanksgiving point both nicely inside and air conditioned. Kids will like either and they are cheaper than Lagoon and educational to boot.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:17 pm

You can drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon over Guardsman's pass - nice and cool up there - to Park City. Nice hiking trails up both Cottonwood canyons.

Goblin Valley if you don't mind driving a few hours south. Watch Galaxy Quest First. There are some amazing hikes near there also.

If you want to grab lunch with NOMoids, just let us know.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:58 am

Unfortunately, most of the unique and potentially interesting things in SLC are church related or are lesser versions of things you will find in other cities. If you haven't been to the church history museum it's definitely worth checking out, if for no other reason than to see the embarrassing display of how poorly the recreated gold plates fit into Alvin's box. I thought it was worth it just to see Kirtland Safety Society bank notes and Hyrum Smith's cool fold-up sunglasses that must have cost a fortune at the time.

One of the best things I have seen in SLC was the original BoA papyri and facsimile printer plates on display at the church history library. Unfortunately, I'm only aware of those being on briefly on display once for single day. Sacred, not secret.

You could tour Brigham's Lion House to see how the king lived and enjoy how they squirm around any mention of all of those women who lived there with him.

A site that's definitely worth seeing is the dinosaur quarry near Vernal, but that's a 3-hour drive each way.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I did the Snowbird tram and some Canyon trails, among other things. I was going to try the church history museum, but it's temporarily closed.
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:17 pm
If you want to grab lunch with NOMoids, just let us know.
I would love to do this, but my trip is at an end. The only time I'd have is Sunday morning before I fly out. But I'm likely to be back later this year and maybe we can coordinate then.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:01 am

Ghost wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:07 pm
I know Utah has some nice national parks, and I might try to catch one or two of those.

The national parks are south in the state and a couple hundred miles drive one way, so not really practical for a day trip. If you are in SLC on business, and only have evenings to explore, then you won't have the time for those. You really need to plan a few days to be able to see them.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams