TikTok

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
2bizE

TikTok

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:12 am

Can anyone explain to me how TikTok chooses which videos to show you?
If I watch 10 videos, probably 4-5 of them are exmormon or exreligious videos. Why is that? With all the videos on there, I don’t see this as coincidence…something is happening to show me a higher number of videos from this genre….
Thoughts?
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Re: TikTok

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:24 pm

2bizE wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:12 am
If I watch 10 videos, probably 4-5 of them are exmormon or exreligious videos. Why is that? With all the videos on there, I don’t see this as coincidence…something is happening to show me a higher number of videos from this genre….
Thoughts?
Their algorithms probably read through your browser history and cookies and recommend based on your exmormon activity.

Or you watched a few Dehlin clips and walla....

Try searching tik tok for dirt bike or tool videos and see what happens after that.

YouTube seems to recommend a variety of things I’m interested in but has yet to recommend anything mormon related.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Re: TikTok

Post by jfro18 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:19 pm

2bizE wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:12 am
Thoughts?
Yeah they're using algorithms that probably are bringing in external data to let them know what you read.

i get a lot of dog ones because early on I was getting dog ones and liked them. I also get a lot of cooking ones and I'm guessing because I sometimes watch stupid food videos on facebook/twitter.

And I also get a lot of pro-church ones (not a ton, but enough that I notice) because I've sat through a few out of curiosity.

The algorithms these sites use are pretty insane and the amount of data we willingly give them is off the charts.